1972 55hp Chrysler Tachometer Install

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to run a tach with this 1972 motor (model 557HD, Serial 1304).
Are there any "new" tach models that will work with this motor? I am aware of the tach lead on the terminal block but, not sure if option settings for new tachs (cyl # & pulse # selections) will make a new tach compatible with this older motor.

topgun3690

Ensign
Not an expert on tachometers but learned a lot when I had to replace the one on my boat. First thing you need to determine is how many "poles" your stator has. Try counting the lugs (poles) on your stator....this will tell you what kind of tach you need. You may be able to look up under the flywheel to count them....or find a pic of a replacement stator to see what it has, or as a last resort remove the flywheel to see. Bought a Faria Beede tach which was "For all outboards" according to their literature. Their tach info stated that Chryslers have either a 12 or 20 pole stator. Mine was a 12 pole, but they do not make a 20 pole tach any more. Find out what you have.....if it is a 20 pole you will have to look elsewhere, maybe even a used tach.

topgun3690

Ensign
This is the tachometer application info from Faria.....scroll down to the bottom....

Attachments

• IS0012_A.pdf
    330.2 KB · Views: 5

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
These older Chryslers used an 8 pole and some a 12 then even a 20
Most 55's had a 8
If you need a tach for diagnostics?? They sell a "Tiny Tach" about 20$
Just hook it to the top plug lead and it gives a reading.