1972 50hp electric shift

muffmooch

Cadet
I recently got a 1972 50hp Evinrude electric shift model#50172s.It came with a shift-controller that has pushbuttons to shift with. Apparently this controller did not come with this year motor. Does anyone know what years this type of controller was available? The dealer told me he needs the year to see what parts are available or to give me part#s to try to find parts for the shifter. Thanks Jim

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 50hp electric shift

The Evinrude electric shift models came with a three button F-N-R switch. This switch has not been available for a number of years from the factory. The Johnson engines had a control box with a single throtle lever that moved a levered switch in the control box. Straight up -N-, forward -F-, backward -R-. This switch is available for about $85 new. I believe your engine did come with that control, as all electric<br />shifts did since 1962, but that was the last year for the electric shifts in outboards.<br />Backfire ;)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1972 50hp electric shift

The 3 button switch from a Evinruse selectric will not work with a hydro-electric drive.