1972 100hp Johnson Shift Switch Replacement

TimW

Seaman Apprentice
The dang shift switch inside the control box on my 1972 100hp Johnson fell apart on me this weekend. It seems that these switches are very hard to find and cost upwards of $100 when you do find one. <br /><br />In searching the forums I find several refereces to using a three-position panel-mounted light switch as a replacement. <br /><br />I know that I need to wire it so that the first position provides 0v to the green and blue wires for forward gear, the middle position gets 12v to the green and 0v to the blue for neutral, and the third position gets 12v to both the green and blue for reverse. Easy enough, but the stock switch has six wires :eek: what do I connect the rest of these suckers to?

TimW

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1972 100hp Johnson Shift Switch Replacement

bump<br /><br />Anybody ever do this?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Very easy. The problem is you will have no "automatic" start in gear protection.<br /><br />You realize the potiental liability?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Mine is flakey so I inquired about a new or used one in town. Didn't like the price but what I did was I bought a used control box on EBay. Was $20 or so plus shipping and I just took out the switch (and the ignition switch) and threw the rest away.<br /><br />Haven't replace the neutral switch but I did use the ignition switch.

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, start in gear at high throttle position and run over somebody/something. I was hoping there was a way to keep the starter solenoid-cut-out circuit functional.

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Didn't mean to ignore your suggestion there Tacklewasher, just that it wasn't there when I posted, we must have been typing at about the same time. :D <br /><br />I have been watching e-bay and haven't seen anything yet.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We used to do it when we raced those deals but I would sure think twice about it on a recreational boat. Even if youre aware and never start it in gear, then a buddy jumps in and before you can edcuate him runs over somebody. <br /><br />If you think about it long enough you can figure it out. You almost answered your own question in the first post. <br /><br />If you do -- please be careful!!!

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I can probably work out how to do it w/o the starter cut-out. I'm thinking now that I might be able to mount a conventional push button switch in the control box to take over the starter cut-out duty. Maybe something like this one:<br /><br /> http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=700500&item=SMS-179&type=store <br /><br />It doesn't say but I'm guessing that can be wired as either N/O or N/C. But I'm not sure if current rating is high enough...I'm guessing not.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can use the existing safty switch. We just have to figure out how to wire it in so it automaticaly engages only in neutral.....

reg10

Recruit

You can use the existing safty switch. We just have to figure out how to wire it in so it automaticaly engages only in neutral.....

My switch is also the price is to much. did you git this switch to
work? and what about the 2 white wires? I have it now where it
starts in gear. and no reverce. I would like to know if this switch
works. there has to be another switch or some how to do this.
reg10:confused:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My switch is also the price is to much. did you git this switch to
work? and what about the 2 white wires? I have it now where it
starts in gear. and no reverce. I would like to know if this switch
works. there has to be another switch or some how to do this.
reg10:confused:

The two white wires are for the start-in-neutral-only function.