1971 OMC Electric shift hydraulic steering VERY stiff

jstcrzyengh

Seaman
Hello all,<br /><br />This board has been extraordinarily helpful to me with this boat so far and all I can say is helpful. I found out that I didnt have the compression I needed in two cylinders as well as some vale issues, but anyway this is the next "issue".<br /><br />The steering on my 71 IMP. In a word it "sucks".<br /><br />Trying to turn is a joke, I mean in wide open ocean I can eventually turn, but try going straight onto a trailer, good luck. After crashing into a concrete wall for the last time I really need to do something about this. The system I have is the hydraulic ram that pushes and pulls the outdrive this way or that. Right now it is almost as if I have to use two hands to turn. The guys who did the work recently on my outdrive said that there is an aftermarket kit, but it was mondo cash, as well I understand that these drives might of had power steering of sorts at one time? I just wanted to see what my options were and if Iboats in particular had replacement parts for the steering mechanism. Any thoughts on upgrades or just new parts? I really need to get this done before I take the boat out again. Too risky without it.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1971 OMC Electric shift hydraulic steering VERY stiff

Knowing Who's Hyd Steering you Have will Help..........<br />Disconnect the Ram from the outdrive,+ See if it's the Steering, or the Outdrive that's dragging...............

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

It's definetly the steering, because we can move the outdrive freely. The Hydraulic ram itself is lubricated and seems to be fine. It's the hydraulics from the transom ball socket to the steering wheel itself that seems to be the issue, but I could be wrong. I am told this is the original hydraulic steering for the OMC's.

DHPMARINE

Captain

If you have a ball in a socket at the transom,and the cable is connected to a bracket on the side of the outdrive,I think the other end of the cable is connected to the steering helm,and no hydraulics are involved.<br />But you do need a new cable.Someone may know of a source,I do not.<br />You need to measure the cable length and start calling around.Last I knew (OMC) BRP had only one length available.(big help)<br />Some repair shop may have what you need hanging on the wall.I don't think Morse/Teleflex has it but you can try. <br />DHP

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Hello,<br /><br />It's not the "Tru course" it is the exact system that DHPmarine spoke of. I found a teleflex replacement, but it is on a different site and not sure if it is appropriate to post it, but the Teleflex part number is "OMC Ball Steering Kit, 1719XX" If you do a search for what I have listed I think that is what I need, but what are the "clam shells" Is that where the ball socket sits? Also is buying one too long bad?