1971 Johnson 50ESL71S Won't Start

jsrock563

Cadet
I have a 1971 Johnson 50ESL71S hydro-electric that will not start. I have a shift problem as I can't get the motor to shift into neutral. I managed to by-pass the neutral safety switch just to see if the engine would turn-over (which it does). I plan on dropping the lower unit to inspect the solenoids and wiring, and have already looked up the part numbers in advance. The upper solenoid is part number 580780 and the lower is part number 580781. Does anyone know if these solenoids are interchangeable?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1971 Johnson 50ESL71S Won't Start

The motor won't go into neutral unless it is running, because there's no hydraulic pressure being generated. Get it started, make sure you have type C lower unit oil in it---specific for hydroelectric lower units, and see how it shifts then. To get it started, check for spark first and fuel second.
Good luck,
JBJ

jsrock563

Cadet
Re: 1971 Johnson 50ESL71S Won't Start

Okay, here's a list of repairs made so far:

1. Replaced starter. Bendix would not engage flywheel (even when by-passing the neutral safety switch). New starter works.

2. Replaced Neutral Safety switch. Safety switch was bad.

3. Replaced Rectifier in the Ignition Circuit. Found Red wire deterioratred and shorting to ground.

4. Replaced plugs. Old ones were questionable.

5. Discovered the shift select switch in the remote was defective. Could not see spending $300 to replace. Found a used one for $25 that works, but could not get it to work with the configuration I have. The replacement switch is a three position switch that has a pivot arm controlled by the shifter wheel (I know my termonology is lacking). The wires I have coming from the ignition switch are as follows:

Purple - HOT (12V)
Blue - Reverse Solenoid
Green - Neutral Solenoid

The wires coming from the switch I purchased are as follows:

Red - Center position (neutral)
Green - Reverse (contact closed)
Blue - Forward (contact closed)

Basically, the switch is open when in the neutral postion and closes when toggled in either direction. I need 12v applied to the Neutral solenoid in order for it to go into neutral. I need 12v applied to BOTH solenoids for reverse. I'm ready to install a DPDT 3-position toggle switch and forego the shift switch I purchased, because I can't figure out how to connect them to get the engine to shift properly. Can anyone give me some ideas that I may have overlooked?

PS I failed to mention - I do have the engine running now (Yay!), but it will not idle. I have to keep it choked in order to make it run. I ran it for 15 minutes the other day and the water pump is working great. The water jacket stayed nice and cool. I ordered rebuild kits for the carbs and will tackle that project next. I managed to get the motor to shift by using a temporary switch connected to the leads. Both solenoids are good.