1971 Johnson 50ESL71S will not start

jsrock563

Cadet
I'm in the process of restoring a 1971 Starcraft Jupiter that came with a 1971 Johnson 50ESL71S hydro-electric outboard. The engine has become the hold up in this project as it will not start. The starter will NOT turn over when I turn the ignition to the start position. I have voltage to the start solenoid, and I can see my turn-to-start voltage. But, I have no output from the solenoid to the starter. I have replaced the solenoid with a spare I had, but experiencing the same symptoms. I found the 20 amp line fuse blown between the ignition switch and start solenoid. I replaced it, but still have the same symptoms. I'm not sure what steps I should follow at this point. Can anyone give me ANY advice on how to troubleshoot this engine?

Jeff

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1971 Johnson 50ESL71S will not start

Ok disconnect starter wire from starter. Have some one check to make sure when you turn the key to start position and you hear solenoid click that you have atleast 12.85 vdc or more to that wire. If you dont replace solenoid. If you do replace starter. Good luck and welcome to iboats.