1971 60 hp coil retro fit

dave3331

Cadet
I have a 60 hp Evinrude and was told I can take the amplifier and coil off and use an automotive coil and condenser. Has anyoneever heard of this? If so does it work?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 60 hp coil retro fit

Have heard of it, does it worK? I have heard that it does, but have also heard of cases where it was less than satisfactory. The point dwell is wierd by automotive standards.

Why do you want to do it? Those motors will run just fine with the amplifier setup if everything else is right. If there are other problems with the motor, ditching the amplifier won't fix it. The biggest problem we had with the 60hp loopers was the surface gap spark plugs that they came with. If you have them, trash them and put in QL77JC4. Makes all the difference in the world.

FishermanJohn

Recruit

What is the issue with ignition system that you are having? I have converted to a MSD ignition on this engine in the past and it a good improvement over the OEM system. There also is an aftermarket replacement from CDI that will replace the OEM control module. But, having said all that; the primary components must be OK ie: distributer cap, rotor, wires, plugs, primary wiring and charging system MUST be in good operating condition.

dave3331

Cadet

I was just wondering. Someone told me that it was cheaper then buying a new amplifier. So I thought I'd ask.
Thanks

cletis234

Cadet

I have a 1970 60hp Evinrude and I am going to goto this setup http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_1_5900.htm this ignition box cause it works identical to our amplifiers on here and this coil http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_1_8200_8202_8223.htm. At the moment though it runs off of the original amp that I rebuilt with new components and resealed. My coil is giving me fits and ived used msd stuff for years and have adapeted them to some other crazy stuff and its way cheaper and more reliable.

I will update how it goes I still havn't ordered it yet but in 2weeks I should have it..

and I know this is an old post....