1970 Starcraft

johnson4

Cadet
Hello, im in the market for a smaller runabout for fishing. currently i have a 12ft sears johnboat, but after a few uncomfertable encounters I realize that fishing on big rivers with locks, and tugboats requiers a bigger, and more powerful boat. I have been looking on craigslist for a few months, and noticed that a older starcraft with a 60 horsepower Johnson outboard has not sold. The price seems right ( in highschool, and dont have the funds to buy a real boat). After Reading alont on "funny tlc ads on craigslist" I understand that buying a boat on craigslist can be a big disapointment, But the price seems right. Maby because the boat has not sold I can possibly get the price down? The pictures of the boat show it floating in a slip is that a plus? I know there are alot of experianced guys on this forum, and your input would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou Johnson4

1970 starcraft

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1970 Starcraft

Since you've been reading our popular Craigslist thread on here, you already know that "motor just needs a starter" and "carbs just need adjusting" can equal "motor is completely trashed". Maybe it doesn't, but are you going to take the chance? Starter aside, an engine should not need starter fluid to get it started.

If it ran and wasn't rotten, it would be worth the asking price.

NYBo

Admiral

Ad says 70 HO, cowl on motor says 60 HP. Hmmm.. Wonder what's under that nice new carpet.

In other words, caveat emptor.

jestor68

Commander

Whatever your boat budget is; offer half, so you'll have the rest for the needed repairs. :)

johnson4

Cadet

I have also taken the state of the transom, and the floor into consideration. would a larger aluminum with a consol be a better choice? It seems boats are alot less expensive on cl in the winter compared to spring so IF i get a new one it will have to be this winter. I know my dads going to be alittle red about a boat in the driveway.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have also taken the state of the transom, and the floor into consideration. would a larger aluminum with a consol be a better choice? It seems boats are alot less expensive on cl in the winter compared to spring so IF i get a new one it will have to be this winter. I know my dads going to be alittle red about a boat in the driveway.

Where do you live (what area?)? There is nothing wrong with buying a boat on craigslist, you've just got to be smart about it... If you don't have much experience with motors I would strongly suggest not buying a boat that doesn't run. And if they say it runs, make them prove it with a water test. Or if it's too cold at least run it on muffs for a while,. It's much easier to fix a motor that broke when you were with it then taking someone elses failed project.... IMHO.

Just my 2cents
Austin