1970 johnson

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Picked up a boat with a 60 hp johnson. Serial number j3302419. Did a compression test. 125 psi on all 3 cylinders. Cleaned the carbs. Here's my deal, it has no spark. Is this motor worth the trouble to put more money into it? It might not have any spark b/c I don't have a for the control box. All I did is disconnect the main harness plug and put power to the starter solenoid. Any way to get around a key for this motor? Any ideas why it wouldn't be sparking? Thanks.

91kuhndog

Cadet
Re: 1970 johnson

First of all, yes, this motor, in a running condition is worth $1000 or more. Second.....look on the ignition face, where the key goes in. You'll se a number stamped on the face,....i.e. #51 or #92. Take that number to a dealer and get another key or keys. I've done this on a couple Johnson's and Yanaha's. I'll bet once you get a key for it...it'll run.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thing is we don't have any dealership remotely close to here. I'd rather just bust it out or something. Use a screw driver or something. I know that's ghetto but I'd have to drive 2 hrs to get one cut. I didn't know what these were worth b/c it's that electric shift motor. Basically don't want to overspend on a motor that's going to be hard to find parts for.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

with such a nice powerhead it makes for a good motor.

'but $1,000 or more' I'm going to have to argue that. maybe attached to a nice boat...