!!1970 evinrude 6hp fisherman 6002b idle issue!!

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey, guys so I just recently bought this 1970 Evinrude 6hp. the guy I bought it from said carb was cleaned and rebuilt but the carb is leaking from the lower seal. The motor will only idle a little bit when just barely under the start position. I have tried starting the motor and letting it run just below the start position 1 1/2 turns counterclockwise then 1/4 clockwise until it stalls and it never seems to stall whether I turn it completely lean or rich. I have noticed when I am making 1/4 movements it responds sightly more but never dies. will not idle at lower RPMs like it should and will die out if below this start position.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Carb leaks from lower seal? What exactly does that mean? What lower seal?

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
cold compression checks at 52t/52b. I am referring to piece #11 on the diagram posted above. Also forgot to mention that it leaks a little bit of fuel from the intake port of the carb where the choke is. I'm guessing float is stuck. If the carb was rebuilt it was done poorly.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
bad carb gasket (Chineese ...reddish color & rubber soft???) loose screws ??

even with a stuck open float the gasket should not leak gas would just spill over from the vent

redo the whole carb properly

inlet port should not leak.... using proper sized hose ?? and clamp

worry about compression later after a good run and decarb

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
cold compression checks at 52t/52b. I am referring to piece #11 on the diagram posted above. Also forgot to mention that it leaks a little bit of fuel from the intake port of the carb where the choke is. I'm guessing float is stuck. If the carb was rebuilt it was done poorly.
Fuel level should not be as high as the gasket #11 and very definitely not high enough to leak from the air intake.

Inspect the float. If it is still an old varnished cork one replace it it a modern plastics one
The needle valve is probably not seating properly. Replace it , the seat and the sealing washer. ( #39)

A replacement valve will be a soft tip one and will come with a tiny spring clip to link it to the float arm so that it does not stick on the seat

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have solved the issue. I rebuilt the carb with a omc rebuild kit. The old kit looked to be one from amazon or ebay because of the black bottom gasket. While rebuilding the carb I noticed the end of the slow speed needle was broken. Ordered another and it’s idling great now.