1970 60hp evinrude amplifier

jolietjake

Cadet
planning to change power pack/amplifier on 70 60hp evinrude, seen original type (sierra) and CDI #113-7123 at outboardparts.com which looks different. Any input as to which I should use, or something else? also with cdi it says to remove "all clipper modules, surge suppressors and safety circuits" understand safety circuits I guess but what are the other two? Thanks for any help.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1970 60hp evinrude amplifier

The clipper is sort of a voltage regulator. It is also supposed to absorb spikes which would otherwise kill an amp. The CDI version must have those built in. The instructions will show what to do I'm sure. The surge supressors and safety circuits are not familiar to me. Not sure what they're talking about except maybe certain aftermarket add-ons.

jolietjake

Cadet

thanks, bought the cdi unit #113-7123, directions are not detailed, simply states "disconnect and remove the clipper module if present" Anyone ever done this before? Any input would be much appreciated.

jolietjake

Cadet

adding this to bring to current postings. could use some help

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did it on my 71 60 hp a while back Jake. If you have a manual it shows the clipper wires and box. If memory serves it is a squarish box with 2 wires, on side of motor by wiring panel, just above amplifier. I believe the wires went to the same screws as the stator wires. Pull it out and throw it away. I will check my manual when I get home if you still need help.

jolietjake

Cadet

have 1970 service manual and chilton's neither mention clipper module. There is a rectifier (triangle base), a diode with yellow,yellow/grey, and purple/green wires which is just a knob on the end of the wires, and a roughly 1-1/2X3" rectangular unit filled with a waxy substance with yellow, yellow/grey, and purple wires coming from the terminal strip and a black wire that goes to one of it's mounting screws. Is this the culprit? It doesn't seem to show on the wiring diagrams. Apologize for length of description.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The Clipper Circuit created more problems than it solved, hence the recommendation to remove and discard it.<br /><br />If it was still on your engine, it would be a rectangular like object, mounted vertically with two screws just above the left side of the powerpack. If it isn't there, it has already been discarded and you can ignore that portion of the instructions.<br /><br />The other item you mention.... epoxy item with a yellow, yellow/gray, and purple wire, is a shift blocking diode. Leave that item in the circuit.<br /><br />The rectifier (triangular) converts the AC voltage from the stator to DC voltage in order to charge the battery.... a much needed item.

jolietjake

Cadet

I believe the knob which looks like a split-bolt (burndy) splice on the end of yellow, yellow/grey, and purple wires is the blocking diode. The wax filled thing is above the amplifier to the left of the rectifier I'm guessing that's what I want to can. Does anything else need to be removed? Can't imagine needing to remove the safety switch on the timing base.

DHPMARINE

Captain

You can visit my manuals here in Massachusetts,at my shop.Where are you in MA.?<br /><br />DHP

jolietjake

Cadet

I guess I'm satisfied that the rectangular wax filled unit is the part in question. The motor is original, been in my family since new, so nothing has been removed, if it was there it is there. Thanks to everyone for comments. Feel free to add any other info. or confirmation that this is the part. Thanks again :)