1970 60 HP stator

jolietjake

Cadet
Trying to find a new stator for my 1970 60 HP Evinrude it's a 3 cylinder in-line, checked outboardparts.com and they listed one for a V-4 1970 60 HP don't think this existed. The part # on my original is 382426 D O. Also looking for a rotor and maybe points. Thanks for any advice. :cool:

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 1970 60 HP stator

jolietjake, nice handle.I quick checked the parts book and came up with 580744 for a stator,not available since 2003,but a dealer may have one on his shelf.If you post your model # I can double check for you.I also think the points are NLA,but some dealers have them.<br /><br />DHP

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Jake.... I'll check my remaining stock tomorrow for those items and get back to you.<br /><br />What problem are you having with the engine, or are you simply building one?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Jake... As promised, I checked my remaining stock. I find that I have one (1) used stator which I will describe later. Also, I have two (2) point sets that I used one time for a very short period (10 minutes tops) as test equipment. The points have no wear and appear new. If interested, contact me via my email address below to avoid using the site's bandwidth.

jolietjake

Cadet

Not building a motor, replacing original stuff on a mint 1970. Just replaced power pack this past summer starts fine but cuts out at full throttle, also reluctant to take throttle from idle , have to pump throttle/shift lever. figured I'd replace a bunch of stuff seeing as how most of it has been on it since 1970. Joe Reeves, I will be contacting you shortly, possibly tomorrow night. Must fly now, Thanks everyone for your input. :cool:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Jake.... Your mention of "cuts out at full throttle, also reluctant to take throttle from idle, have to pump throttle/shift lever" would indicate that either the timer base under the flywheel is sticking somewhat as the throttle is advanced...... or<br /><br />The carburetor cam roller is opening too soon in relation to the timing...... or<br /><br />The carburetor high speed jets are slightly clogged/fouled and/or the adjustable slow speed needle valves are not adjusted properly (see below).<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /> <br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.<br /> <br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /> <br />Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.<br /><br />NOTE: On a three (3) cylinder engine, the center carburetor is to be adjusted first, then the bottom, then finally the top.<br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

jolietjake

Cadet

Thanks Joe, I received your email concerning parts. In response to adjusting carburetors, they have been rebuilt but as I live in southeast Mass. it's been about 10 degrees for the last few days so messing with it now is out of the question. Was just going to throw parts at it in the spring to see if it made a difference. Motor has very few hours on it and stator and points look new, just getting sick of messing with it I guess. I'll let you know about the stator and points you have. Thanks