1970 60 HP evinrude driving me nuts!!

jolietjake

Cadet
You may remember the amplifier discussion on this motor. Replaced amp with CDI unit, motor ran fine on halloween, gave me some trouble yesterday (Nov. 2). Still starts well, but died out several times at full throttle and is resistant to take throttle from idle in gear, will take a rev in neutral and if revved up in neutral can usually get it to go when put immeadiatly into gear. Getting close to turning this thing into a mooring! Once again any input is much appreciated. :confused:

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970 60 HP evinrude driving me nuts!!

Dont remember if you rebuilt carbs, but that sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Either gummed up carbs or more likely a fuel line or vent problem. I have had a similar problem with my 71 60 hp. It was the clamps on the fuel line and primer bulb letting in just enough air so the fuel pump couldnt maintain flow. Cheap aftermarket fuel line clamps need to be inspected or replaced.

jolietjake

Cadet

two new OMC connectors on fuel line, new primer ball but that is aftermarket, carbs were just rebuilt, would run at 3/4 throttle for extended periods yesterday and for a while at full then would just completely die out in the middle of running at full throttle. Seems to be maintaining flow at 3/4 throttle.

fireman57

Captain

are you sure that you don't have some crap in the high speed jet. Sounds like there is still something in there. Like ddiagle I don't remember your previous post. That is why it is best to stick with one thread. Are you sure you are not losing spark at higher rpm? After it dies out check the plugs and make sure they are burning the same. Could have a bad connection on the powerpack or it could be bad even if it is new. The Bombardier packs you have to put together yourself and sometimes it is tough to get the plug wire seated just right on the pin. The pins are threaded so you almost need to screw them on and it's tough without measuring to get them completely on with a good connection.

gary11756

Cadet

i know this sound impossible but it happened to me. i was working on the carbs so much that i never replaced the carb cover (lazy) and sure enough a piece of the foam the lines the cover got sucked into a leaf valve. blocking air flow. just a suggestion. you never know