1970 40hp Gearcase question

changetires

Seaman Apprentice
Ever since I replaced the prop shaft seal, o-ring and spaghetti seal my shifting has been erratic at best using the manual shift lever and cable. If I disconnect the cable and run the shifter by had I can get it to go in forward or reverse with no problem although it does seem like the motor lever has to travel almost to dead stop before the forward or reverse will catch. I was wanting to drop the lower gearcase and check everything but I am unsure if I can disconnect the shifting rod through the small side cover and remove the lower shift rod with the gearcase. If I can do this how hard would it be when reinstalling the gearcase to get the shift rod positioned properly through the lower unit. Or should I just drop the entire lower unit? I would really just like to check the gearcase not the LU but it all depends on the shift rod and how big of a pain that would be

any replies would be most helpful,

Thanks,

Ed

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1970 40hp Gearcase question

are you sure the screw in the shift rod connector is in the indent in the shift rod. also you cables may be going, requiring more travel.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing to fear with the shift rod connector. Remove the cover plate and there is another plate behind that. Remove it and the shift rod connector is inside. The main concern is when reassembling, you have to have the hole in the connector precisely aligned with the notch in the rod before installing the screw. Use a flashlight to look and be sure. Failure to heed will cause the screw to strip and fall out.

In fact, by your description, that is the first place you should be looking. Take the plates off and look in as you move the shift lever. The shift rod & connector should move up and down immediatly as you move the shift lever, with no looseness or lost motion. Any slack or lost motion indicates a problem with the upper shifting mechanism, under the powerhead.

But here's a wild thought: When you had it apart, did you put the U-shaped cradle back in the clutch dog? I've never left one out, but it would seem that if it was missing it would cause your problem.

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

I have the case ready to come off and I will just go ahead and check all your thoughts out.

F R, your spark plug wire diagnosis was correct in a earlier post. Thanks

Ed

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

After reading your post again F R. What exactly do you mean by put the shift cradle back in the clutch dog? Is there a diagram that shows what you mean by this?

Ed

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

This should help.

"http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/30976.cfm"

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

Does it matter which way the shift cradle is assembled in the clutch dog. I installed mine with the cradle opening towards the water pump but when I take the gearcase apart the cradle opening is towards the fin. Is it supposed to float in that groove or is it supposed to stay put with the ears on the cradle sitting on the fingers of the shift lever?

thanks,

Ed

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

The cradle rides between the flanges of the clutch dog and is a snug but not tight fit; the dog has to turn freely. There is a shifting fork that is moved by the shift rod. This fork has two little semi-rounded fingers that slide into a couple little slots on each side of the shift cradle.

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

Thats what I needed to know. After looking at it last night for about 3 hours and then sleeping on it and reading some more posts from the search menu, that when the little light bulb came on. I have a clymers manual but in the assembly instructions it mentions nothing about the cradle ear having to fit the fingers of the shift lever. I will try that when I get home. Thanks again for the help.

Ed

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

Went back through the gearcase last night and installed the cradle on the shift lever fingers. Bolted everything back up and today I am going to go run it and see how it shifts. It shifted really good in the yard but I want to see how it does on the water. Thanks again.

Ed

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

Ran the boat yesterday and all is now well again in Johnsonland. This 1970 40hp still runs like a champ and will fire on the first turn of the motor. There are quite a few years left in this old workhorse. Thanks for all the replies from everyone who helped. I have learned alot about this beast since reading and joining the board.
Thanks again,

Ed