1969 tilt pump on 1988 alpha one.

hazmat5760

Seaman
I'm in the process of getting a nice trailer with a free boat. The boat is a 1969 with mercruiser out drive and engine. Will the hydraulic pump for the outdrive tilt/trim work on my aplha one?

Thanks,
Ryan

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1969 tilt pump on 1988 alpha one.

Nope,... Those pumps Don't have a built in reverse lock...

TurboK9

Cadet

If she still has the original cylinders, and they work or can be rebuilt, they will mount to an alpha, so just leave the old cylinders on. If not, then you'll either have to buy a opair of old cylinders or replace the pump. As Bond-O says, the old pump will not work with alpha Gen 1 or gen 2 cylinders. Not only the reverse lock, but you can't mingle hi-pressure/low volume pumps w/ low pressure/hi volume cylinders very well ;)

hazmat5760

Seaman

It figures I wouldn't get so lucky. Oh well. At least I can part this free boat out and make some money. :D

Anyone want a boat?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Changing the cylinders has nothing to do with it either. The reverse lock is a seperate item from the pump asnd the cylinders on the old pumps. The new pumps have the valves already in them.

TurboK9

Cadet

Changing the cylinders has nothing to do with it either. The reverse lock is a seperate item from the pump asnd the cylinders on the old pumps. The new pumps have the valves already in them.

OK wait... now I'm confused. Is the OP talking about removing the 1969 pump and installing it on a 1988 boat? Or is he wanted to put a 1988 dive on the old 1969 boat?

If it's the latter, the old lock may still be on the boat.

Hard to answer such a question without all the info about what's still on the old boat anyway :D

hazmat5760

Seaman

OK wait... now I'm confused. Is the OP talking about removing the 1969 pump and installing it on a 1988 boat? Or is he wanted to put a 1988 dive on the old 1969 boat?

If it's the latter, the old lock may still be on the boat.

Hard to answer such a question without all the info about what's still on the old boat anyway :D

Sorry about that. I'm not 100% sure what all is on the old boat other than the engine is a 160 hp merc and the outdrive is not an Aplha one. Was there for the trailer and teh boat is just a bonus.:D

I was hoping I could save some money, yea I know, and swap the pump from the old boat to my boat. Now that I know it can't be done, I'll take it out and hope someone wants a pre Alpha set up. :D

The boat I'm fixing up is a 1988 Stingray Maxim II, 22 foot, with a 350 mag and an aplha one.

That brings up a question. Is there a market for the parts that would be on the '69 boat, or am I wasting my time parting it out? All the grabrails are still in good condition, not sure about anything else though.

Thanks,
Ryan