1969 omc sterndrive

Andyman54

Cadet
Hey all I have been given a nice aluminum boat that came with a 4 cylinder 153cc and an omc stern drive outdrive. I believe the outdrive works havent been able to test it but its been protected more than the engine. The engine was left unprotected and seems to be seized up. I am going to try and get the engine unsiezed but if I cant... I was hoping someone would be able to help me figure out what other engines I can droo in the boat. I am definitely a noobie on boats but do outboard drives, are they typically universal and can match to most things or is each one special?

Thanks
Andy

kenny nunez

Captain
First make sure the engine and not the drive is frozen. Can you reach the ballgear on the drive side. If so try to rotate it back and forth . A motorcycle mechanic told me that brake fluid in the cylinders is what he uses to free up a stuck engine with great success. Those engines have been out of service for a long time. The best replacement is a 3.0 but you will have to get a new manifold complete with a carberator and riser. Everything else will swap over and you will have to re use the oil pan because of the engine mount.

Andyman54

Cadet
Well the ourdrive has been removed already when my uncle left it in storage he removed it from boat. When im home ill spin that gear on the outdrive

southkogs

Staff member
I think Kenny means to try to rotate the engine via the ball gear.

If you want to check the stern drive a little bit, you can separate the upper from the lower and try rotating the upper gear case. It should rotate reasonably easily by hand if it's free.

You've got an electric shift stringer stern drive. It's antiquated and some things are completely obsoleted, so be aware the boat is definitely in the "old" side of the equation.

Andyman54

Cadet
so the ball Drive is that spindle looking object on the back of the engine where the outdrive connects to it, right in front of the flywheel? Correct? And I appreciate the info on the dated boat I definitely dont plan on taking it anywhere except on lakes where the wake isnt so bad.

UPDATE:
Okay so i did attempt to spin the ball drive. Did not budge at all.

Question not that im not going to try and get this motor turning buttttt... I have this motor in my area will this fit my outdrive or are they totally different? http://www.laniermarine.com/eshoppr..._1444728.OMC___Inboard_Outboard__Stringer.htm

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you cant rotate the motor from the ball gear unless you have all the sparkplugs out.

you can rotate the outdrive from the ball gear assuming you have removed the outdrive

if you want to find a motor for minimal work, find a 1982-1985 OMC 3.0 with the stringer 400 mechanical shift. get everything....gauges, controls, motor, drive, etc.

unbolt what you have, bolt in the newer motor.....go boating.

southkogs

Staff member
The ball gear from the engine can be seen in this photo:
images

Dead center just above the exhaust "hole."

Sent ya' a PM.

Andyman54

Cadet
Okay so I am now in the process of removing the engine from the boat. Once I finish that I will take the spark plugs out and attempt to turn the engine over. Thank you for the photo!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
to remove the motor, pull the outdrive, unscrew the trim ring on the boot, push boot into hole, undo 4 stringer mounts, pick motor and intermediate housing out as unit.

Andyman54

Cadet
to remove the motor, pull the outdrive, unscrew the trim ring on the boot, push boot into hole, undo 4 stringer mounts, pick motor and intermediate housing out as unit.

Yea I have all that off. . I spent all last night trying to remove the back cover of the boat so the engine will simply lift out. Then I realized lol its welded to the rest of the boat and is not able to be removed. So my new strategy today is to cut ino the back cover just wide enough that ill be able to hoist the engine straight up and when I put an engine back I can make a nice easy access hatch for the top of the engine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would Jack the motor up using a screw Jack, slide some two-by-fours underneath it and slide it forward in the build before I would cut holes in the boat

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the motor was most likely placed in the boat with something similar in concept to this

crane-pallet-lifter.jpg

Andyman54

Cadet
Okay, thanks for the tip about sliding the engine forward, I was able to put a piece of plywood underneath it and slide it out. I HAVE THE ENGINE OUT!!!

The engine is definitely not worth trying to fix if its even fixable. The carbs are done, the starter gear is rusted out, alternator is seized up. The motor was used in saltwater and kept outside in Savannah. When i hoisted it up a bunch of water drained out haha.
I was able to rotate the ball gear a bit on the outdrive when i rotate that am i supposed to see the prop move at all? ( because it did not move ) Maybe i did not move it enough i need to find something better than my hands to turn it, either way it didn't seem locked up on either end.

I have my eyes on a couple 3.0 omc engines if i were to find one and purchase a 3.0 omc engine does any year of that type work?

Above kenny said ill need a new manifold complete with a carburetor and riser. Is there anything else that I will need for it to work?

Attachments

• 20170801_193330.jpeg
    20170801_193330.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170801_193339.jpeg
    20170801_193339.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170801_193639.jpeg
    20170801_193639.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170801_193346.jpeg
    20170801_193346.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Before you go much further - evaluate your drive. See if the upper gear case is free and turning like it's supposed to. And then see if the lower is shifting and free. You'll probably need to get a manual in order to test those things out.

Basically - if you want to stay electric shift (many would advise against), you'll only need the engine. If you want to convert now while you have everything torn apart, then most would recommend going full mechanical. You can probably get the whole system - pulley to prop - out of a donor boat or used in one shot.

Your third option - and a buncha' folks would suggest you go this route - would be to rebuild your transom (you have to completely re-do it) and convert to Mercruiser. IMHO, though if you decide to go that far it's time to let this boat go.