1969 Mercury 80HP Steering question

Newbe15132

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

SN# 8342412

Now does this year have a pulling system? or a tilt tube. I have a tilt tube syle streeing on my boat. I think I would also need a linkage arm. if so would this work?

8b3d_1.JPG

Heres a few pics of the motor, I have not yet pick it up yet. But I like to know the steering system so I can order the parts.

f0d2_1.JPG

fa12_1.JPG

Thanks for your help

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1969 Mercury 80HP Steering question

That motor probably ain't a '69, or an 80 HP.

The body is circa '64, but the Lightning Energizer distributor is found on later models. Maybe someone coverted an older motor to electronic ign, or used the 'guts' from a newer powerhead to make a "FrankenMerc".

If you have a pic of the other side, showing the fuel pumps and intake transfer port covers, we would have a better idea of whether it's a 65HP or something else.

Cheers..........ed

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Yep, I'm with Ed..looks like an early 65hp (steering rod will probably work OK though)

Laddies

Banned

Scatty it has external shift connections and 1965 was the last year for that and all of the first series of 800 had battery CD I doubt if anyone would convert backward just didn't want to rain on some ones parade

Newbe15132

Seaman Apprentice

hi,

i'm sure its a 80Hp it has 4 cylinders and 2 carbs. it got me up on plane and got me to 40mph +/- with a 15' tri hull boat. I got a 17 Pitch prop on it. Vary large. But you would think it would get me up fast, but it takes about 15 secs or so before it gets up on plane, then the motor realy opens up.

Lots of fun :)

Can anyone tell me the spark plug gap I might use? and what kind of plug? I looked at the plugs and theres like 4 differted ones hehe. I'm sure thats not helpping the motor. I guess if I have the right plugs at the right gap it will start easyer. Takes some time to get it started, but onces its in gear and opened up runs nice.

Newbe15132

Seaman Apprentice

the one pic of motor is the wrong pic. look at the one pic, you'll see a siver lining, and look at the other pics and you'll see its not there. and the red fly wheel is covered, and the other pics its not there.

The last pic is not the motor I have, seller must have made a misstake.

Heres the others pic, I'll take more later of the other side. but it does have a distributor that looks like the one in that one pic (that is not the motor pic).

f649_1.JPG

I all so got the steering connected and works great!

Hey, Its Garrett, I am glad to see that you got it running with no problem. I highly doubted that you would have any problems. I'd like to see you post some pictures of your boat. Remeber if you ever have any questions, or need anything feel free to give me a call.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Scatty it has external shift connections and 1965 was the last year for that and all of the first series of 800 had battery CD I doubt if anyone would convert backward just didn't want to rain on some ones parade
Your knowledge is more like a welcome spring shower..:D

Newbe15132

Seaman Apprentice

Can you tell me the Spark plug I need and the gap?

Thanks

emckelvy

Commander

Your last picture shows a 65 HP which will take Champion J4C spark plugs or equivalent (such as Autolite 353). Gap at .025"-.030".

That motor carries a "Stone Age" magneto with coil, points, condenser inside of it. Easy to maintain and resistant to Nuclear Electro Magnetic Pulses!

Cheers...........ed

Newbe15132

Seaman Apprentice

So, its a 65hp not a 80HP

New problem, maybe I need to start a new post. But...

When I first stared to run it, it ran fine. Then, it started to cut in and out. Runs like this (R = rev S = stall)

R R R S R S R R S R R S S R SSSSSSSSSSS

Sounds like the ingnition is being turned off and back on and off And so on.

I'm guessing theres something wrong with the spark. the coil? It just getting wors. Now I can't run it. New plugs. .03 gap

any ideas?

Thanks