1969 Merc thunderbolt 65 hp

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up a boat with a 1969 650-65hp Thunderbolt Merc. Can anyone tell me if they were a fairly good motor. Thanks for any info.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: 1969 Merc thunderbolt 65 hp

IMHO you could do a lot worse. parts and tech.<br />info are plentiful on this era merc. I have a<br />'70 1150 and I love it. lot's of good merc help<br />on this forum too. <br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Bucksaw, <br />Mines a 67-650 merc, runs great with a little TLC. new plugs, carbs over hauled and points set right. Parts are still available, and lots of good manuals and help from knowledgeable people. :D

John H1

Cadet

Way back when I bought a 65 hp thunderbolt Merc. new. If you can’t pin down its complete history start with a cylinder compression check, and a lower unit pressure check. I learned to ski using this engine. Many good & no bad memories concerning either engine or times. BE safe John

aeronutt29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got one in my garage right now that is being used for parts due to the lower unit being stored for the winter with water in it. Busted a big ole slit down the side of the gearbox. Everything else on the motor seems to have held up very well over the years. If you are ever in need of some parts I'd be happy to send you what you need if I've still got it. Put my e-mail address in your contacts list for "just in case". aeronutt29@ (remove this spam blocker) cox.net. Since the motor was given to me, I'll pass on the savings to you! :cool: