1969 johnson 4hp leaky lower unit

johnson4

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1969 Johnson 4hp longshaft that i am trying to get into running condition. the motor was last ran in about 1993 when it was winterized and put away. Ever scence the motor has been stored in a doorless garage. I was given the motor, and hopefully i can get her running. I plan on using it on a small john boat for fishing. So far i have fixed the pull start, replaced a broken gas inlet cap, got a new impeller (not installed yet). The first time i tryed to start it it started on about the fith pull. i noticed the water that the lower unit was in started to turn a light white so i killed the motor and inspected it, and saw what seemed to be oil that has leaked out of breather holes on the shaft, and behind the prop. my question is could this be a very leaky lower unit? possibly when winterized the lower unit was overfilled? how can i fix this? thankyou.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 johnson 4hp leaky lower unit

The best thing to do is have the l/u pressure & vacuum checked. That way you'll know what's going on.

johnson4

Cadet

one day later, and there wasnt any oil on the ground. i checked the lower unit iol, and there was no sign of water in it. could this be twostroke oil coming out of the exhaust? i will be looking into that pressure test this week.

nwcove

Admiral

do the sniff test.....oily exhaust discharge has the smell of exhaust/gas, gearcase oil has its own distinct odor. also remove the prop, wipe the shaft down , have a close look in a day or so. most times it is just unburnt gas/oil from the motor, but keep an eye on the propshaft.

johnson4

Cadet

i went and inspected the the oil. the oil that were coming out of the three holes smelled like two stroke, but the oil coming from the water exit hole had alot of dirt in it, and didnt smell like two stroke. and there is a rubber cone covering the end of the prop should i pry it off to get to the nut, to take off the prop?

nwcove

Admiral

yeah, carefully work it off, you should see a cotter pin and nut. its actually a good practice to remove the prop to check for fishing line that may be wound up behind the prop. also go to marineengine.com and have a look at your motor....the exploded views are very helpful.