1969 Evinrude Lightwin Low Speed Knob

Fester

Seaman
I have a 1969 Lightwin and am looking to make sure that I havbe covered all bases to get the most out of it. I have changed the fuel mixture from 40:1 to 50:1 and tweaked the rich/lean knob (high speed) and have definately got more out of it than at first. But, I turn the low speed know and it does not appear to do anything....just free spins. What can I do to fix this and once it is fixed, will it ultimately help with any more power, or should I just leave it alone...the motor runs great, just want to make sure I am getting all out of it I can. Thanks in advance!

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1969 Evinrude Lightwin Low Speed Knob

Sounds as though the knob is spinning and not moving the needle valve. If that is correct you could remove the needle valve and clean it. The packing nut will have to be snug when you replace it but not so tight the needle valve won't turn. You could have cracked plastic on the end of the knob that grips the needle valve which will cause it to not grip. Should you leave it alone. That is a good question. If your happy with the way it runs at low idle then I guess you could leave it. Rick.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cracked, stretch knobs are very common on those motors. i have a 1968 3 hp, that is stripped. but i keep the knob on it for looks.

i pull my knobs off to adjust with pliers.

Fester

Seaman

Do you think that the low speed knob in the wrong position could cause a serious decrease in overall power?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do you think that the low speed knob in the wrong position could cause a serious decrease in overall power?

The low speed knob is exactly what the name implies. It controls the idle fuel mixture. It has virtually no influence on the high speed mixture and any tiny bit of influence it might have is way overshadowed by the high speed system. You are talking about drops vs buckets.

Set the two knobs for best high and idle speed operation, according to instructions, and quit messing with them.

Fester

Seaman

Thank You! The low speed knob has been broken since I got the motor so I have never adjusted it. It idles great low so I am just going to leave it where it is.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

why mess with something if it working correctly?

Fester

Seaman

Just trying to make sure it is running the best it can.