1969 Evinrude 85 hp water in cylinder

bluestng

Cadet
I just bought a 69 Evinrude 85hp that is getting water in the left upper cylinder. It ran funny was having problems accelerating and the spark plug was clean as a whistle. I changed head gasket, did a final torque of 20 ft. lbs. I ran it and then retorqued, took it out saturday and it runs great plugs looked good and then water in cylinder again, but now it is in both on that bank. I checked torque when I got back Saturday and the top two bolts were loose. When hooked up to hose and running should there be water coming out of prop with exhaust? I disconnected hose from cylinder head to see if water is flowing and it is. Can water get into cylinder from any other way besides head gasket on this . Any ideas? I am stumped and wife is getting impatient. lol Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1969 Evinrude 85 hp water in cylinder

cracked block, and exhaust gasket.

bluestng

Cadet

The exhaust cover between the two cylinder banks is leaking a little oil so I guesss that is the next place to start loking. I wiill post my findings.

bluestng

Cadet

Checked the compression today, the lowest as 70 and the highest was 75. I am getting water now on three plugs. So I am thinking maybe water in gas??? I doubt it, I would never get that lucky. I stopped at the local boat guy today and he acted like it wasnt really possible for water to come in through the exhaust. Is he right?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

He is wrong. You can get water in the cylinders just by having the water pressure too high on a motor on muffs.

If the exhaust cover gaskets leak, water can enter the cylinders through the exhaust ports.

Click the thumbnails for typical situations where leakage in the exhaust covers caused the problem.

Attachments

• SB 1352 Water in Cylinders (2).jpg
    SB 1352 Water in Cylinders (2).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 3
  • SB 1347 Water in cylinders_1.jpg
    SB 1347 Water in cylinders_1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 5

bluestng

Cadet

thanks for the info I will check and replace and post results.

bluestng

Cadet

Well I ot the exhaust cover off and there was definately water leaking there. There was some white scale build up and the lower right corner with the hole for water had a leak so I think I found my problem. How hard would this motor be to rebuild? Is there a lot involved?

highrider38

Recruit

first timer here do not no where to start ,i got a 74 johnson 115 and this guy has a 69 85hp will the heads and starter fit the 115

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

first timer here do not no where to start ,i got a 74 johnson 115 and this guy has a 69 85hp will the heads and starter fit the 115

Start you own thread highrider38.

bluestng

Cadet

Well two bolts broke off trie pb blaster for 3 days and heat, still would not budge so I drilled them out, the one did not drill the best cause my small bit broke off. Will some kind of silicone hold up on these gaskets to help seal it?

bluestng

Cadet

I used that high temp copper silicone stuff on the exhaust cover, will that hurt anthing? After drilling the second hole I ended up with not much left to seal aroung one of the bolt holes.

bluestng

Cadet

Got her back together tonight, fired it up. Let it run, checked plugs still water:eek: Now what?? Good anchor? I am sick of it.I don't know what to check or do next. I did notice for the first time water came out through the prop with the exhaust. The one head gets noticibly hotter than the other. I checked with my ir termometer 127 and 180 on the other. That is too hot correct? Please someone chime in.

Dude Im Sorry About Your Luck Just Out Of Couriosity Is It A Closed Deck Or Open Deck In Other Words Does Water Go Around By Your Cylinders If So You Could Have A Small Hole Thats Letting Water Into Your Cylinder(s).

bluestng

Cadet

There is water jackets around the cylinder walls if that is what you are asking. Compression was lower but all the same, the motor runs fairly smooth just water on the plugs

bluestng

Cadet

Today I started it again and one of the lower cylinders is getting lots of water so I pulled the head to look and it was filled with white foam and then I shined my light into exhaust holes and it is still leaking in the exhaust baffle:mad: So I guess it will come off again. There was a part of the baffle that was ate away and pitted, this part was covered with a white powdery substance so is it possible there is holes in the baffle and if so can they be welded successfully.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I'm guessing that you are talking about the inner exhaust cover, and if it's eaten away it's probably not the stainless steel one. If it's aluminum and already corroded, then it needs replacing. How to get a replacement is another question, since it's no longer available on the Evinrude site. :(

bluestng

Cadet

Yep I am talking about the innner cover. Its funny I was trying to be cheap and bought a cheap motor. Figures:confused: Thats what I get

bluestng

Cadet

Got everything sealed up and replaced but it is not firing on cyl 3. It has plenty of spark, the plug is clean though like possibly more water, again. And now the stinking starter decided to go out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't know how much more time/money I'd put into an electric shift motor......