1969 evinrude 40 hp flywheel pulling

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I'm trying to pull the fly wheel to replace points and condenser, but i'm having a hard time getting it off. I have followed my manual as closely as possible but i thought i would ask if i was doing it right before i break something. I have posted a couple of photos.<br /><br /> web page (click here)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1969 evinrude 40 hp flywheel pulling

Looks good to me. I'd squirt some PB Blaster around the top of the crank and let it sit overnight. Next day tighten up on the puller and rap the flywheel with a hammer.

Xcusme

Commander

Looks good to me too. As SoLittle mentions, soak it and use a soft faced hammer near the puller bolts (all this under tention by the puller). Don't be surprised when she lets go, it can be a bit loud. Your first thought will be that you broke something! You should be fine.

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

I went back outside to put away my tools and let it sit overnight with tension and penetrating oil and what did i see but a fly wheel sitting loose on top...it had popped off while i was on the computer looking for a solution. Thanks for the responses. A little moral support goes along way.<br />cheers!

CATransplant

Admiral

That's the ticket. I always recommend that people with difficult flywheels just put about 50 ft-lbs of torque on the puller bolt, then go away. Usually it pops off sometime within a few hours.<br /><br />It's a far better approach than banging on things.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That link is from the throttle shaft, it appear's to be worn in two. See if the other piece is still in the throttle tower shaft. That oil from the drain hole could be unburned fuel mix, or gear oil from the upper drive shaft seal.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Hey James,<br />I my spam filter accidentally deleted your email,<br />please send me another so I can contact you.<br />Thanks<br />Bill