1969 drive shaft 1969 650 4cyl

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice
water pump is still leaking oil its worse now with new seals the drive shaft is worn pretty bad where seals run does anyone know if and where to get repair sleeves for this shft or would someone have a good drive shaft .going to try not pressing seals as deep to hopefully get on a good section of shaft and get a seal i have a 1969 650 4 cyl

Last edited:

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1969 drive shaft 1969 650 4cyl

You'll need 2 "Speedi-Sleeve" or "Redi-Sleeve" repair kits as one sleeve isn't typically wide enough to cover the area swept by both seals.

If the area on the driveshaft where the bottom seal rides is still in good shape, you might get by with a sleeve for just the upper seal.

If you have a NAPA nearby they should be able to get the kits for you.

You'll need a vernier caliper to measure the diameter at the repair site, the sleeves cover a specific size range; order a sleeve which falls within your shaft diameter.

Here's a link with some info on Speedi-Sleeves:

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&newlink=4_5_1&lang=en

HTH............ed

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice

thanks i had used these sleeves on a truck crank years ago but didnt know they had them in so many sizes thanks ed been a big help now for the fun of trying to get everything cleaned up and get them on

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice

so far i may have stopped the leak dont know for how long thow i replaced the seals again but didnt drive them to the full depth left the oil seal about 1/8 th short o bottom and maybe got onto better shaft hope it works the shaft is really bad grooved and pitted but couldnbt find those sleeves around here anyplace napa wants 50 bucks for one if this works i will carry on but if it starts again i will just have to breakdown and get those repare sleeves