1969 85hp Rude and 85hp Johnson 1974

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 69 Rude on my Larson, I have replaced the amp on it plus the coil. It ran last fall but when I went to start it this spring it has no fire. I have gone threw the tests that it calls for in the mech. manual and don't have any juice coming out of the amp, according to the test. Is there anyway I can test the amp off the motor and see if it is good. I used a tester and found that I have continuity between the base and the grey wire, and the base and the blue wire. It records clear over when I touch the wires and the base. Is my amp shot, it seems like it must be shorted out if there is contact between those points. I'm not much when it comes to new fangled things like that. But now a friend gave me a boat with a 74 Johnson on it. It is froze -up but he said the electrical worked. My quesstion is , can I put all the electric off the 74 onto my 69 ???? Or can someone help me with the old elec. problem on the 69. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 85hp Rude and 85hp Johnson 1974

The two motors in question have totally different ignition systems, including different crankshafts.

The tests you describe are meaningless. The amplifier receives 12 volts from the battery, boosts it up to 300 volts, and stores it in a capacitor. When it receives a signal from the breaker points, it discharges the storage capacitor through the coil. No way in heck can you check all that stuff with a continuity test.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1969 85hp Rude and 85hp Johnson 1974

FR, I also checked the output of the amp by using a light on # 5 post of the termenal board. Turning it over I didn't get any "flicker" from the light. I disconnected the coil from that post and still nothing from the amp. Is there anyway to tell if the amp is anygood with any other tests? Can a person take it to a shop and have it checked? Lost in Idaho!!!