1969 40HP Evin lower drive oozing fluid

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have a problem with what looks like gear oil mixed with water oozing from a small hole on the gear case. I removed the gear case and and replaced the drive shaft seal (just below the impellor)and also I replaced the impellor, impellor housing with new seal. I ran the motor again and I still have the same problem. Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be causing this, or the origin of the fluid? Any help would be appeciated.

angus63

Captain
Re: 1969 40HP Evin lower drive oozing fluid

Welcome James<br />Have you replaced the fill and drain seals on the threaded plugs on the lower unit? There are other seals on the motor , prop and shift rod for example, that also can cause this. A pressure/vacuum test (10-15 psi pressure max)will let you know if you're "hermetic".<br />Good luck

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks angus63...I will look into that...in the mean time I will try posting photos of this leak

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

<br /><br />url address to photos...hope this works...

angus63

Captain

Sorry James, but this is more than a drain plug issue....... <br />Looks like oil is escaping from the enclosed gear section. I would recommend removing the lower and doing a good inspection and complete seal rebuild. I would also drain the lower and replace with oil before corrosion becomes a factor. This is more a oil is getting out than a water is getting in issue.<br />good luck and let us know

Paul Moir

Admiral

Check your gear lube for contamination. If it's getting water in it, you most likely need to change the shift shaft seal. It is right next to where the drain passage that leads to that hole is.<br /><br />That hole is there to drain whatever puddle of water is left in the lower unit exhaust area. You will frequently see unburt fuel/oil dribbling from it as well from the exhaust.<br /><br />I don't find these single-sealed gearcases hold pressure very well. I only test them with 5psi. Test with pressure with the lower unit submerged in water and the air-bubbles will tell you where the leak is. Carve up an old tire valve stem so it screws into the drain/fill screw plug hole and attach a bicycle pump.

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alot guys...I will drain the oil and remove the gearcase again. I will do a pressure test and submerge in water and try to discover where the leak is originating from and replace the seals where necessary. I was having a difficult time with two of the screws in the propellor housing cover initially that is why I didnt replace the seals down that way in the beginning. I guess it pays to do a job right the first time :) Cheers!