1968 Starcraft Jupiter - Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jim, awesome, awesome work... Im actually back putting my boat together, quite inspired by your finish. Question if I may, if your tank is gone from front, where do you have it and size? I'm asking because I was going to put a 20 gal at front with a 33 Johnson, afraid full gas things might be too balanced.

What did you use to attach the wood to the side edge from front to back?

Thanks in advanced and once again, congrats the boat looks freakin awesome!

InMotion

Commander
Thanks Glen!

CB --- Putting the gas tank up front caused issues... With a 90 on the back, it couldn't keep the bow up and caused it to porpuse/bounce up and down... unless trimmed all the way in... which at speed caused some handling challenges.

I think that you would also be very front heavy with only a 33 on the back ---- read that as it will plow and handle poorly.

For the wood --- I used SS screws and then plugged them. The lower pieces are screwed from the backside of the side panels. Dash -- from the back through the old dash.

Thanks for the comp's!!

Jim

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Glen!

CB --- Putting the gas tank up front caused issues... With a 90 on the back, it couldn't keep the bow up and caused it to porpuse/bounce up and down... unless trimmed all the way in... which at speed caused some handling challenges.

I think that you would also be very front heavy with only a 33 on the back ---- read that as it will plow and handle poorly.

For the wood --- I used SS screws and then plugged them. The lower pieces are screwed from the backside of the side panels. Dash -- from the back through the old dash.

Thanks for the comp's!!

Jim

Jim,

you are right, thats exactly what I was worried about.. I might just as well paint the metal old fashion tank and leave in the back, while selling the 15 gal for extra $$$ ... :)

In terms the wood, did you take the aluminum rail from within the interior before putting the wood against the sides?? did you cut into aluminum left curve and right curve around the dash / windshield to make it more square fit the wood vs rail?

sorry, just love the look of how that worked out for you, was waiting for either someone to do it or i would... very very nice job once again ;)

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
...when I had the 24 gallon gas tank up front --- which was original... the boat porpused (sp) badly... I basically had to run the motor fully trimmed in. The motor could maintain enough lift to keep the front end up. This was limiting and produced some interesting ride results.

Now with the tank gone and the lighter motor on the back I can run it trimmed in, out or anywhere in between with no issues. Basically, it works now.

You have me concerned about my fuel tanks. I finally installed that 22-gallon aluminum tank in the rear and the 20-gallon aluminum tank in the bow. I am also planning to downsize to a new 50hp Tohatsu fourstroke next spring but was planning on more testing with the 115hp Evinrude in the next month or so. Look forward to some videos of your Jup with the 70. That should be the perfect size outboard for the boat.

Last edited:

InMotion

Commander
You have me concerned about my fuel tanks. I finally installed that 22-gallon aluminum tank in the rear and the 20-gallon aluminum tank in the bow. I am also planning to downsize to a new 50hp Tohatsu fourstroke next spring but was planning on more testing with the 115hp Evinrude in the next month or so. Look forward to some videos of your Jup with the 70. That should be the perfect size outboard for the boat.

Hey JC,

Good to hear from you....

Tanks in the back made a world of difference in the way it handles. I much prefer it overall. The 70 IS the engine for this boat IMHO.... it works really well. I haven't actually opened it up yet.... as I have been breaking in the engine... but I have had it to 35 mph without any trouble.

With 6 people and gear and about 50+ stop starts due to huge 3+ foot cruiser waves I average less than 4 gallons an hour just as a reference point. With two adults and cruising it would be around 3 gallons an hour at 25 mph...

Jim

georgio

Recruit
Good afternoon, I am happy to have found this folder. I am starting to refurbish our 67 Jupiter , I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for you. I've just begun removing the floor. Did you install any flotation material under your floor? I'm making my way through the 52 pages here searching o answers. Your boat looks great!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good afternoon, I am happy to have found this folder. I am starting to refurbish our 67 Jupiter , I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for you. I've just begun removing the floor. Did you install any flotation material under your floor? I'm making my way through the 52 pages here searching o answers. Your boat looks great!

Dig in and read the progress, you'll find your flotation answer.

Avoid posting in inactive topics.

Inmotion has been on the forum more often recently, but hasnt posted here in this topic in over 5yrs.

Closed

PM or flag if you get back over this way Jim, we'll reopen it

Status
Not open for further replies.