1968 Starcraft Holiday-V Steering ...

Fisch

Cadet
OK ... boat is a 18' 1968 Holiday-V w/120 MC-1

I suppose first question to the Starcraft crew would be, what is the steering system in this rig called? It has what looks like a 2 gear type round unit behind the wheel, with cable ... and typical tube in the rear ...

Don't know what the correct terminology there is ... :confused:

Anyhoo ... this steering is getting pretty difficult turning to the left. Left, only. There are no zerks on the tube, but I worked it in and out and greased it some by hand anyway.

The zerk on the sterndrive is nice and greasy ... so I don't think the issue is here either.

Any ideas where to start or how to diagnose would be VERY helpful.

Thanks!

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1968 Starcraft Holiday-V Steering ...

Sounds like you've got a rotary steering system, probably an older one.

My rig came with rack-pinion steering and it works well.

You can get a brand-new rotary including the wheel for like $130.

Ezmobee always posts links to it, not sure which web site it's from.

Welcome to iboats Fisch, another Michigander with a Starcraft:)

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Fisch, your just down the road from me :D Hope you sort out your steering probs soon...

Scott

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I would suspect the diff. steering one way only is in the cable its self they get gumed up esp. after sitting a while very diff. to lube them . Disconnect from the motor front and see where it gets sticky. Might be the motor its self need some lubricant.Tilt tube may need cleaned also.

Fisch

Cadet

Thanks for the welcomes Michiganders and the tips there Puget ...

Sterndrive pivot point is lubed as they get so I know it's not that ... I'll have to disconnect from the tube and see where we're at ... after Huron Angler describing this as a rotary steering system, I've looked them up and am sure that's what this is ... and see the entire system in pretty inexpensive as he described as well! Encouraging either way, if replacement is the only option.

Fisch

Cadet

Finally got into this a bit this afternoon ... it appears the issue is within the cable ... but I am having trouble getting it removed from the linkage in the transom ... was able to break the cable nut loose, no problem ... and removed the nut on the end of the tube where it connects to the pivot arm (proper vernacular?) ... for some reason though, cable seems stubborn about coming out of the tube ... any suggestions?

(Sheesh, what a sad excuse for a summer of fishing this has been ... haha ... when I get the time, I'm working on the damned boat! LOL!)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

turn the wheel back and forth hard to see if it helps

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

May want to try a little heat on the tube, lots of PB Blaster, well as much as you can squirt in there