1968 Star Trek-V 18 ft'er... "Going where no man has gone before" custom rebuild

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1968 Star Trek-V 18 ft'er... "Going where no man has gone before" custom rebuild

Hello everybody, name is Mike and I am an admitted striper killer

I am in Bakersfield and ocassionally hit the salt for rockfish and hoping to get this thing fixed up and troll for salmon as well

I picked her up this afternoon after talking the guy down from 550 to 300 bucks. Trailer only has light surface rust and axles look good. I plan on painting, rewiring, changing the bearings and look for some non ugly wheels...

As far as the boat? the drab green is really drawing me into a vietnam era camo paint job? thoughts? I saw a murdered out flat black rig one of you guys have and I really like the custom look.. One of a kind thing

I plan on this being a A 1 fishing machine with overnights and room for cots for me and a buddy on two dayers at the lake.

I have seen the emaculate jobs you all have done on these starcrafts and while I would love to have a clean looking rig like that, I think my patience to go fishing will prevent me from tricking it out to that level...

So this is it, I think it was converted to a cen con at some point? You guys tell me what ya'll know. 18 feet, aluminum in great shape, transom to be replaced, new deck and console.. I plan on buying a brand spanking new 50 horse Merc elpt..

I want to eliminate the back deck thing that prevents back wash when you slow down and keeping water out of the boat. Any thoughts? I'd could yield 2 more feet of room in the boat? How about a bow mounted trolling motor? is the bow too far out of the water?

Any help or suggestions guys would be awesome

Thanks Mike...

2012-05-19_15-31-22_447.jpg

2012-05-19_15-31-30_49.jpg

2012-05-19_15-31-46_184.jpg

2012-05-19_15-43-00_94.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: So I'm aboard the Starcraft remodel board with a 18 footer

Welcome aboard Mike
Looks like a gutted Super Sport ?
Have fun with her..I like the OD green..lol

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome aboard! Cool fishing boat! I agree with CBK, looks like a stripped down SS... hand rails don't look quite right for a Mariner. And Coast Guard tag on her? Anyways, congrats and welcome aboard!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I see a Merc without a tiller handle and no steering wheel what the -// great looking boat and very clean looking the way it is, should be easy to do the floor and transom with your friends help. The interior work is easy and you can do whatever you want. Big cost will be a decent top if you plan on overnighters on the boat and limited room with the 18 ft. great project keep us posted .

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

300 bux eh? Awesome, welcome to iboats and the Starcraft brohood!:D

Reading your post there I'm thinking...

You'll want a bigger engine than a 50, especially for striper fishin.

To eliminate the splashwell you would want to add back in structure to keep the outboard where it's supposed to be. Plus, in bigger water (striper fishing) I'd want a splashwell in place. Now if you want to reduce the size of that splashwel take a look at my Jet Star thread or MichaelP's Chieftian thread for the how to on that.

Great boat man!:D

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

I didn't mention it was a 68, the motor does have cables, throttle and steering wheel attached which I plan on stripping off the hull today.

Thanks for the insight on the SS and splashwell advice. I think now I will keep the splashwell and utilize that space as best I can for battery, gas and maybe fabricate a baitwell into the splashwell.. Going to have to watch my weight distribution, may just be a ice chest a.k.a. DEAD WELL...

Possibilities are endless at this point and my two boys are fired up and we worked till dark stripping the trash and vacuuming the hull out. Was impressed that my boys did all the work, bonus for me. I expected me to do all the work. Maybe this will be more than a fishing boat but a lesson on how to turn wrenches, fasten, and/or how to be a handyman?

I'll post some pics of the hull stripped today

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Todays update.

I buffed the oxidized paint and that green doesn't look half bad?

I'm thinking of just doubling up 3/4 in plywood and resin the two together with screws also. Any reason why I can't just do that for the transom, or am I stuck with finding 1.5 inch plywood around town.

I am going to remove that rounded casting deck platform and put in a shorter square one with lids for storage..

Thoughts so far guys?

2012-05-20_16-45-28_385.jpg

2012-05-20_16-45-46_892.jpg

2012-05-20_16-46-27_363.jpg

2012-05-20_16-46-15_33.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Boy, the paint cleaned up pretty darn well eh;)

Man, I'd be bummin if you tore out that U shaped casting deck/bench - such a unique and classic piece on that boat. But who am I to talk, I've chopped plenty o stuff out of these old rigs.

Yah, for your transom just laminate 2 pieces of 3/4" exterior grade or Arauco ply together to get your 1 1/2":)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome. Nice hull. I like the old school green and if it shines up to presentable I'd certainly go with it. Remember, Epoxy resin is what you want for your sealing and laminating not polyester resin like you'd find at the home stores. Poly is useless without fiberglass.

dave 524

Seaman

Nice hull, pretty sure it started life as a 18 Mariner, looking at the remains of the front deck, 18 Mariners are a little shallower and narrower than SS's, notch at the transom looks a little shallow for an SS too.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like a Mariner to me also.
2012-05-19_15-31-46_184.jpg71MarinerV.jpg

64osby

Admiral

You might look on the tag on the inside gunnel, it just might tell you / us what model it is.

barato2

Commander

does it matter that much which model it was? it's now a Big Unidentified Tin Thing.

cutbait, good score on the $ and welcome to the world of the bottom feeder.

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class

64osby is the winner here..

Tag says its a model 18' STAR TREK...

Great,, green like spocks blood and I ain't a trekkie nerd.. :facepalm:

Thanks for the heads up on the epoxy resin and wish it was payday to splurge on plywood and resin and carpet and led lights, and wire, and a jack, and bearings, and seals, and and and and and and and...............

64osby

Admiral

76 alright, a Star Trek V, we don't have many of those here, if any. I missed out on one before I got the Mariner. Don't knock the green, it's like flannel shirts, always in fashion.

Here's the one I looked at, post 4 & 5 have pics, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=490934

$$$$ All for a great cause and years of enjoyment.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Star Trek? Cool!!!!:D

barato2

Commander

to splurge on plywood and resin and carpet and led lights, and wire, and a jack, and bearings, and seals, and and and and and and and...............

bad news, amigo, you're barely getting started on the $$ drain....

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so I wish I had found the model of the boat before I started this thread and included Star Trek as it seems this is the only one on the board?

Anyway, between baseball and work I have had only an hour or so a day to work on the boat.

I also decided to keep a running tab on part totals... May be interesting to see total cost of "cheap boat" I thought I bought.. LOL

Been reading a bunch of the other rebuilds and that is one daunting task for sure. Lots of great info out there and it has changed my course and plans several times for the better. Thanks guys..

So I took the time to teach the boys how to change a tire and change bearings in the hubs.

2012-05-22_17-18-05_909.jpg

Hub pressure washed and ready for bearins

2012-05-24_12-27-35_82.jpg

Spent two nights removing hardware all over the boat although this picture doesn't illustrate that

2012-05-20_19-34-38_675.jpg

Pressure washed the rims and bimini... the bimini was a disaster with mold and junk. I am going to utilize this one until it tears or is such a blight to the boat I can't stand it. Just figure the couple hundy bucks that would take to replace will be better spent on soo much more

2012-05-24_12-09-53_843.jpg

Kinda cool seeing where this rig came from... BTW Bennigna Marine is no longer in business

2012-05-22_17-31-12_969.jpg

So cost of boat was $300

Bearings and seals were $30

Total of $330 in 4 days of ownership.

I am thinking of putting the old outboard on craigslist as parts for a small price to see if anyone is interested. May recoup some of the $300?? Dunno may try

On the deck? Is it that important to buy the sanded 3/4 ply or will the rough be ok?

I see your rebuilds and I like the marine vinyl decks, and painted decks with sand mix.. Carpet I am not really diggin the thought of and with the quagga mussel inspections here in California it will be much easier to dry with no carpet. May just make a removable mat? dunno well see..

Was thinking if anyone has tried an exterior door as a transom? 1.5 inches thick and are solid 2x4's glued together. Thoughts?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh man, I'm really liking that super cool bow casting deck up there ^^^ U shape is so unique, I hope you keep it:)

Exterior door? Nah. Two 3/4" pieces of exterior grade plywood, glued, all sealed up would be cheaper and easier to build.

Oh, hey, you can go to your thread title (on the Starcraft forum page), double click it and change it to whatever you want;)

(Hey, I added your project to the Rebuild thread cool:cool:)

barato2

Commander

just don't total up the cost in stainless hardware, it'll make you wince

Jas is 100% right on the plywood. no, the sanded part doesn't matter; the reason many of us buy the Chilean sanded panels is that they are the closest locally available thing to marine ply (less voids than exterior and glue seems more waterproof)

there's a cheap and easy solution to your bimini: your old one is in great shape to use as a pattern. buy some Sunbrella off fleebay or from Defender and sew one up.