1968? Mercury 50hp question

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So here is the scoop. I have had a heck of a time with my current outboard. A guy I work with has this merc he is willing to sell me. He at first told me it was a 1972 merc thunderbolt, but he brought in the serial number #2479292 and it shows it being a 1968 on the charts. Am I missing something, or was he just not sure?

Either way, it is not a real problem. He seems like a pretty honest guy. He wants 200 for it. Said it ran last time he used it. He put new stuff on it, i wont go into all of it on here.

Here is my question; What do I look for besides compression, when looking into buying this motor? And on top of that, what should the compression be in it? Also, does 200 sound good for a 1968 if the compression works out and all?

Thanks guys, this forum has been a big help in the past. Lots of info, hoping to get in on some.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1968? Mercury 50hp question

Compression can vary due to several factors, including the gauge used. Anything over 100lbs. More importantly, you want the numbers on all four cylinders to be fairly close to eachother. I prefer no more than 5lbs of difference. Some will accept up to 10lbs.

It is a 1968 according to the serial number.

Can he fire it up for you?

Check the lower unit for leaks or water infiltration of the gear lube.

$200 is a very fair price. Used lower units go for that much.