1968 fold-up 3 hp johnson

FrancoC

Recruit
I've got a 1968 (at least I think- Model # JWF 23A) 3 hp johnson that folds up in a carrying case. The engine just stopped running. I waited until it cooled down and it started again. But I think if it heats up it may cease again. Jets plugged? Cylinder/piston issue? I have no manual and know very little of engines. Any recommendations on where to get a manual and where to start?:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1968 fold-up 3 hp johnson

I would start with the water pump, if you have confirmed it's running hot.
Can you provide a little history of the motor?
Have you had it for a few years running fine and it just started doing this, or did you just acquire it and try to run it and it quit?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you ran it hot till it siezed, you may have permanently damaged it. If it was indeed an overheating situation, you must not run it any more till you fix the water pump. And replace the head gasket and exhaust cover gasket. Then you can run it and see how it goes.

FrancoC

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. Was running great for several years and then it quit a few years ago. I was duck hunting when it quit in a shallow marsh area. Thought it may have got clogged with mud and it stopped. After cooling I re-started it again and I thought I remembered having good water flow. But she quit again.