1968 evinrude 40hp lark water pump trouble

redsmufc

Cadet
hi
i have a 1968 40hp evinrude lark, i have replaced the lower unit seals and impeller put it back together lower unit is fine but i have no water being pumped around any clues as to why??? the impeller is turning freely clockwise. i am baffled could it be water pump housing, and seals or both.

many thanks

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 1968 evinrude 40hp lark water pump trouble

are you sure the pick up tube got into the pump housing?

redsmufc

Cadet

hi yeah it is located but the rubber grommet is damaged i have used silicone instead i did check it for leak and is was ok, also the seal inside the top of the water pump was seeping slightly would that cause a problem??

redsmufc

Cadet

sorry to add to last post the pick up tube grommet is damaged in the lower end not in the water pump housing.

freddyray21

Commander

make sure the motor is deep enough in the tank or barrel. Some like to be deeper than others. Was is pumping water before you changed it?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

be sure the key didn't slip out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If that inlet tube is not sealed, it will suck exhaust gasses instead of water.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Confirm the blades on the pump impeller are curve the correct way, backwards to rotation.

K.B

Seaman

Good evening to you!

I have a '71 40 hp evinrude that I had problems w/ when I acquired it. Not knowing your engine history, also check your compression. Blown head gasket was my culprit for no water.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is the thermostat and relief valve in the head? People love to throw those parts away and then wonder why it won't pump. Especially the relief valve, it has to be in there.

redsmufc

Cadet

hi yes it was pumping before, and the impeller is in the right way round. i filled the tank untill the water was about level with the water pump. so would the inlet tube be top suspect? would the shaft seal in the top of the water pump housing cause any major problems?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The shaft seal in the housing will allow air in and water out if it is real bad. Related to that is a small hole in the pump outlet tube adapter that keeps that area filled with water. Anything that lets air into the cooling system is suspect and most have already been mentioned.

Water tube
pressure relief valve missing or blocked open by trash
blown gasket (s)
bad/worn pump housing
bad housing sealing, above and below

redsmufc

Cadet

thank you very much for your help i'll check it out during the week and test it again :confused: