1968 65hp Johnson

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice
Still having problems with the 65 hp Johnson motor. Put a different amplifier on and got the bulb to light one quick time, then no more. But when I stopped turning it over the Amp still was buzzing till I shut the switch off. Then I tryed it again and it lit the light once again, then nothing. The amp buzzed till I shut to switch off again. I am wondering, since I didn't take the flywheel off yet, if the points are sticking and causing the Amp to buzz. I also had a problem with the seloniod, but found out the saftey switch under the flywheel wasn't working so I just used another wire to ground it from the one that was hooked to the switch. Now how much have I screwed this up.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1968 65hp Johnson

That wire only grounds the start solenoid. You're going to have to tackle those points. Be EX-TREEM-LY careful with the distributor or it'll crack. I seem to recall that the early models had no ground wire to the base plate. Adding one would be a good idea. Otherwise grease on the swivel can insulate the plate somewhat.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Well I poured a little gas in the carbs and it fired right up. I'll have to wait till I get the impeller checked or a new one before I can say it is running.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Well I didn't wait for the new impeller, started it up in tub and had to wait for the thermostat to open but it did pump water. Runs like a charm but will still put the new impeller on. How big a job is that, is there a tube I have to watch out for when I take the lower unit off. And also I read in the owners manual that It call for 10w oil in the lower unit, is that right.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

most lower units use 90w , available in a tube at walmart.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Well I got some 85-90 from Napa , guess that will do, just thought it was odd that the owners manual even suggested 10 w.