1967 OMC 4 cyl

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My manual will arrive anyday...just checking things out. Neves had elec shift before. Can this be checked while not running? I read the unit must be in water or hooked up to water as not to heat up the mechanism. Also the wires leading to the lower unit where exposed on the side of the upper case have been cut & soldered, probably to service lower unit can this affect the shifting?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1967 OMC 4 cyl

Someone removed the lower part and was too lazy to remove the wires properly.

How is the solder joint covered now?
Shrink tube with silicone inside?
Or a bit of electrical tape?

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class

electrical tape.....Can the unit be shifted with the ignition on. Motor not running as of yet. I'll be tuning up this weekend. power tilt works fine, cranks good no spark from coil wire. Just checking other things till I get it running.
Thanks

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I think you can, but I've not worked with electric shifts so that's only a guess. Anyone?

Electrical tape won't keep the water out,
I suggest throw the tape away, unsolder the connection, fill both ends of a red butt joint wire connector (16-18 ga) with silicone, slide wires in & crimp.
Wipe excess silicone off, let cure.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

You definetly need to insulate the pair from each other and completely Re-Seal. Water is not good. Actually, if the pair ever met while electricity was being applied it could be disasterous for the Lower GearCase. After you secure the wires, with the throttle engaged you will hear the magnets engage the gears. I am of coarse talking about this with the Engine off and just the ignition switch on. If the throttle will not activate the magnets, you should be able to apply voltage where the Electric Shift Cable connects to the Boats wiring at the Stern.

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Lyndy & wire2 I'll post results.

1967evinrude

Recruit

hello all i have an evinrude sportsman 120 1967 model with the i/o 4 cyle does anyone know what carbs will fits this boat and if anyone knows about these boats i have a few more questions thanks.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

hello all i have an evinrude sportsman 120 1967 model with the i/o 4 cyle does anyone know what carbs will fits this boat and if anyone knows about these boats i have a few more questions thanks.
67rude...your better off starting your own thread rather than tacking on to an old one.;);)