1967 model Johnson electromatic

oil lamp

Recruit
I just received a 1967 model 80hp Johnson with a electromatic drive it rests on a Silver lie hull that needs some work. My question is if the motor would stand up to some heavy towing i.e. 15ft shrimp net. I am trying to retro fit this on a limited budget. I need to know are these motors worth a small investment or should I keep looking.<br />
confused.gif

sdglover

Cadet
Re: 1967 model Johnson electromatic

Where aare you located?<br /><br />------------------<br />sdglover@cox-internet.com

oil lamp

Recruit

Originally posted by sdglover:<br />Where aare you located?<br /><br />
<br /><br />Central Texas but I like to fish from Galveston to Sargent.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Oil lamp,<br />The LU is a little weak for how I've seen shrimp boats work. But you could get by with<br />a small pitch prop to ease the load on the<br />lower unit.<br /><br />corm

oil lamp

Recruit

Corm <br /> Hi, Hope you are fine and you don't think that the electrmatic tranny would give me any trouble under a load??? It has a 10 and 1/2 prop with a 10 deg. pitch. I would like info on what would be a good size. In my younger days we pulled the same size with a 35hp evinrude on the back of a 16ft aluminum V hull don't know what size propit had but it did pull verry well.
confused.gif

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi oil lamp,<br />Most boats around 16-17ft need a 10" by 9"pitch. The lower the pitch the more power and less tourqe on the shift drums and springs in the gear case for normal usage.<br />Make shure you have the correct oil in the LU.so the springs will grip tightly.<br />The motor is not the best choice, but should<br />get you by for awhile.<br /><br />corm

oil lamp

Recruit

Corm<br /> Thanks for the reply. I will try to locate a 9 deg. prop but my local shop thinks I am nuts to use this motor for anything else than puttering around the lake. I know I'll have a lot more questions to ask later.
smile.gif