1967 9.5HP Sportwin - starting/shifting

imnezrider

Cadet
Boy, I hate to be so ignorant, but can't seem to grasp it. I want to get my "new" boat in the water Thursday, but need some answers. I finally realized that I must rotate the throttle grip over to the "Stop" position in order to put the shifter into neutral. Since that's the case, do I plan to start the motor in this position and after a warmup, shift into forward or reverse? There is a "shift" marking also that I don't understand as well as a "start" position. I'm confused and will appreciate any input.

Attachments

• Dscn1335.jpg
    Dscn1335.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 9.5HP Sportwin - starting/shifting

The detent should stop the counter-clockwise motion of the tiller handle at the Start position if you are in neutral or reverse.

You should be able to shift into neutral, forward and reverse in the area between Start and Stop if the engine is running or if you manually turn the propeller or flywheel clockwise with the engine not running.

The mark for shift is to remind you to slow the engine down to below that point before shifting so that you do not break the propeller drive pin or the gears.

If you find that you cannot shift into reverse or neutral within the range of Stop to Start, the gear at the end of the handle and the throttle rack and link will need to be reset correctly. [See the Lower Unit Diagram for your model - http://shop.evinrude.com/]

iwombat

Captain

You should probably also figure out what year your motor really is. They didn't make a 9.5 in '76.

imnezrider

Cadet

Thanks for the polite reminder...simple typo. It's a 1967 (9722M). Thanks again for scolding me...I needed that.