1967 75hp carb problem

Bo0YaA

Cadet
My father has an old boat he is thinking of donating to the kidney foundation due to what the repairs are going to cost him. I picked it up today from the guy who quoted me $450.00 to rebuild the carbs. This is way out of his price range being on a fixed income and all. I have had a lot of experience rebuilding ATV carbs and was wondering if they are similar enough that I could do it. The carb model number is WB1B and I not been able to find much about about the motor its self. The model is a 7573 and the serial number is 2480 as per the plate. It has 127 lbs of compression per cylinder and would really like to get it running for him. When I mentioned I was considering the rebuild myself, the guy told me if I don't know 100% what I'm doing I can render the carb useless. Not sure if he was just trying to scare me into paying him the $450.00 or if he was being honest. That's why I came to you guys. Also, it has a 19 pitch prop on it and living at 5000ft and recreating around 6500 ft he said I needed a 13 pitch prop is this correct? if so, can anybody tell me what years cross reference? Thanks in advance to whom ever is kind enough to help me out.

Dave

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 75hp carb problem

$450 just for cleaning the carbs or re-building them?Either way still pricey.
Take them apart and clean them.Don't change anything!!! If they look like there is something too corroded or broken,post some pics.
Most time they just need a good cleaning(depending on corrosion) and new hoses.Also change the pump diaphram as it's probably gonna go soon if it isin't already bad.
Change ALL the hoses and squeezie.Add a filter between the carb and the pump.
The prop should be fit to the boat.Need to know what size boat,How many RPM at wot?
The 13 pitch is probably for a pontoon.
Do a compression/spark test.Post the results and photos and the your profile

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

The carbs are a piece of cake if you have ANY mechanical ability and can follow simple diagrams. Order the kits on here from Iboats or maybe contact Franzmarine@aol.com. $450.00 seems a little steep to me. (being nice) Good luck...

Bo0YaA

Cadet

He did say he was going to rebuild them. He pulled the bowl of one of them and there was a good 3/16 inch of varnish in the bottom and the float would not move freely. He said chances are if ones like that all of them are.
Do you happen to know where I might find a diagram of these carbs? Nothing is broken at all in fact he said other then the varnish, the motor looks to be in better condition then most of the motors he sees half its age and he said 127 lbs of compression was great for its age.
The hoses and plugs were replaced already but I will be sure to add an inline fuel filter, always a good idea. As for the boat size, its a 17ft v-hull and not sure on the RPM @ wot. He just said at this altitude I was going to have problems getting on plain with a 19 pitch and recommended a 13 pitch or at most 15. I found other props for sell but not sure what years if any interchange with this year.

Thanks again

Bo0YaA

Cadet

Does anybody know what year props will interchange with this motor? Im not trying to be a pain just looking for some info and figured you guys would know best.

Thanks,

tjello327

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can rebuild ATV carbs, then you can do these no problem. All I did to mine is clean them very good first, check your float drop & float rise. Float rise is set by turning the carb upside down and see if the float appears to be level with the float bowl mating surface. Float drop is set by turning the carb right side up and be sure the float is just a little bit away from hitting the carb housing in the center area of the carb. The needle valve is checked by turning the carb upside down and manually blow air in the fuel inlet with your mouth (not as hard as you can), you shouldn't blow anything past. Carbs should work fine if you do this.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The 1967 engine is a two piece lower unit with 18 spline prop shaft and a pin drive prop held on by a threaded prop cone. This is held by a large cotter pin.

Any two piece prop for early 1960s up until about 1977 will fit. These props can not be found new, you must buy them used. They are on ebay but the ones I have seen are a bit pricey--New Old Stock and selling for new price.

I have a couple of 17 pitch props. If you are interested, send me a private message.