1967 60hp Johnson- stuck in neutral

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice
Motor will not go into reverse or forward. It was working fine the last time out, although I had to adjust the cable as it seemed to be too loose. Can not move the shifter at motor by hand. Help!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 60hp Johnson- stuck in neutral

Disconnect the spark plugs and try turning the prop by hand while attempting the manual shift.<br /><br />If you can shift, your problem is probably in the cable.<br /><br />Ideally you would disconnect the shift cable first.

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

prop moves freely regardless of the position of the shifter. The cable has been checked and do have movement to the motor although it seems to be locked up? Is this an electric shift issue?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If it is an electric shift motor, do a search from the link at the top of this page with "electric shift". You will find a lot of information. <br /><br />I assumed it was manual shift like the 1965, my mistake.

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the direction! It may be a manual shift, I not 100% sure although the cover does say electric or is that refering to the starter?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

On second thought, why would you have a cable on an electric shift?<br /><br />Drop your lower unit down a half inch and check. I think your Shift Rod connector may be loose.