1967 60hp battery ibnition coils

Compaqp1

Seaman Apprentice
How can I tell if I have an auto coil or a marine coil. I've posted this problem a few times before but this just came to mind. My engine (1967 Johnson VXL-13A) is having trouble getting up to the high end on the tach but that's not what I ned to know, I think that may be a prop issue. I've gone over the entire engine and made sure everything checked out. What I need to know is if someone has put an auto battery ignition coil on my motor will it run just fine for a while and then all the sudden without much warning start to bog down to the point that it dies if I continue to try to tun it at full throttle? If I back the throttle off to idle and let it run for a few minutes I can then get up and go again but not as long as I did the first time. It seems like the longer I let it set at idle the longer I can go when I throttle up. I know that an auto coil has an internal resister and the coil I'm supposed to have has an external resister wire. So would adding an external resister wire to an auto coil cause it to run just fine for about 3-5 minutes and when both resisters start to heat up and begin to cut the current off bog the motor down down. I know this may sound like a stupid question but I haven't had much experience with battery ignition systems. What would happen to my coil if i remove the resister wire and it is a marine coil. Would it fry it? Is there a difference in the appearence of the two coil if they are both the cylinder types? After everything I've done to try to figure out this problem it almost seems too simple that this could be the cause.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 60hp battery ibnition coils

The original coil is a molded epoxy unit shaped kind of sorta like a small short-necked bottle. Most car coils are larger, metal can with plastic end. Your car may vary.

Compaqp1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, what would happen if I remove that resister wire and ran it to see if by chance there is an internal ballast in it? Would having a coil double ballasted cause my problems. I have an electronics background from high school and from what I remember (very little) this makes sence to me. I think you've responded to my other posts on this engine.

Compaqp1

Seaman Apprentice

Just went out and pulled my coil and when I removed the insulater rubber bushings I found crackes in the coil housing What would happen if I replaced with a points type auto coil?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Go to laingsoutboards.com and see if he has coils for you.

Compaqp1

Seaman Apprentice

I found this coil at Dixie Marine for $90 I know I can find an auto coil for a tiny fraction of that if I can make it work.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It will work with a points type auto coil. In fact that is what the early V-4s had on them. It's up to you to figure out what kind of resistor, if any, that it would need.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Compaq, I converted my '59 Fat-Fifty (very similar to your motor) from a magento ignition to a battery-coil ignition, because I was too cheap to replace the magneto coil. I simply used a ford coil and .25 micro farad condenser (they need to match) from a '64 Mercury Comet. Of course I needed to modify the dist. cap to wire in the coil.

Your conversion should be much simpler, should you choose to do it. You should use a resister to lower the voltage to about 8 volts on the + side of the coil when running the motor. Cranking the motor should use the full +12Volts at the coil.

Compaqp1

Seaman Apprentice

Replaced the coil and resister wire with an auto coil and ballast resister and seems to have solved the problem with bogging down. The guy at the parts store new exactly what I wanted and set me up. Boat seems to plane faster but I'm still not sure about my rpms or even if my tach is set correctly. I did change the setting to 4 and now the tach shows about 4000 rpm's at full throttle in the water. Boat does about 27 mph with the 60hp engine. This boat is built for up to a 90 horse but the transom couldn't handle a 90 now.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Compac, It sounds like you have a winner. I am not sure if your tach is reading correctly for you. Since you have an automotive-type ignition system, you should be able to doublecheck the RPM with a automotive-type tach. I would think the setting on an auto tach would be for a V-8, since you have a two cycle V-4.

Compaqp1

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I just don't understand how the tachs are different or what the operating principles are for each.