1967 40HP Johnson Electric or Mechanical Shift?

hodgie

Cadet
I new to boating and apologize for sounding dumb. I just purchased this Boat and Motor about a week ago. The motor is a 1967 Johnson 40hp. The question is how to I know if this is an electric shift or mechanical shift? I have read threads on here that state that the lower unit lube is different for the two. I have a throttle control on the right hand side of the boat that has F-N-R. Now the funny thing is that I noticed that if I take the throttle lever to F is actually puts the boat in Reverse and taking the lever to R puts it to forward. I wouldn?t think this is normal and hope it would be an easy fix?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1967 40HP Johnson Electric or Mechanical Shift?

It's electric shift, and the shift wire's are turned around. Check back at the engine where the wires go into the exhaust housing. Blue to blue, green to green

hodgie

Cadet

Thanks? I will look at that this afternoon. Needless to say I was surprised to be going forward when I put it in reverse. Headed right for the dock..

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

I always thought that the 40's that had the F-N-R shift on the starboard side of the motor were mechanical shift, and the motors that lacked that shift lever (they shift by wire) are the electric shift.

hodgie

Cadet

Now you have me questioning myself? The throttle box has the word ?Electromatic? on it. I take it that means Electric Shift?