1966 Penn Yan 20' Cuddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a boat I bought for 2500.00
The first time out, it ran fine, until I filled up at a large Marina, blew the back of the fill hose for fuel, did not know it and had a fire, put it out lost blower motor and three wires...lol everything else was fine.

The next time out lost a Belt for the Alt/water pump. Bought one for a 66 Chevy in line 6 cly motor and got a spare, then the motor started getting hot the next time out, it will run a bit warm in the yard hooked up to the boot.

But in the water it runs hot in less than five minutes. I took off the water pump which did appear to still be working, still I changed it with a 25 dollar one from auto parts store. I changed the upper water hose coming from the outdrive due to some dry rott...

Now I think I still need to replace the outdrive water pump, problem is I can not find a mechanic to work on it due to its age...They are afraid to open a can of worms, despite, what I listed as problems the boat has only had two owners and the second one added it to salt water only last yr. It has been garage inside kept its whole life.

I need to know the exact motor listing so I can find the right parts without having to remove them, and hunt something up at the Advance store...

I also need help figuring what is the best impeller for the outdrive or should I say water pump for the outdrive ? I am looking for the complete kit and also what I need to do oil things of that nature.

As you can see I know very little about boats, I can do the job if given a manual or told how to do it.

But on this boat I am in the dark a lot...

I can not upload pics they are too big for forum...
Here is what I think I know,
1966 Mercruiser I/O with 165 HP 150 inline st8 6 cly motor.
Nice boat, very nice, worth fixing the outdrive water pump...everything else still factory works. The shifter is a little stiff and jumps from rev to drive and vice versa...

Any help is appreciated.
And thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1966 Penn Yan 20' Cuddy

1966 Mercruiser I/O with 165 HP 150 inline st8 6 cly motor.

Ayuh,... There's a good chance that you're Beat... There Ain't no parts for some of the Old 1s...
The Good News is,...
You can easily Update the driveline to something more current...

The previous owner stated he had changed the water pump in the outdrive, the problem is I do not know what to buy to do it. HELP:confused:

Update...

Update...

I was able to get the parts I found the Penn Yan dealer grabbed a few of the numbers and he was able to get the part for me...
Now I have to replace the Trim lines and I am looking for some kind of guide for the routing and what steps I need to take to remove them have them made then put them back on.
Although the boat is now running great.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread is also from 2009 .........................

This from the announcement at the top of this forum.

Please DO NOT reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Do Not write in them.

1. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Do not reply to them.

2. Do not take over someone else?s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

3. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

4. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it?s posted at the end of someone else?s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

Thank You for your cooperation

Status
Not open for further replies.