1966 Johnson 100hp (V4ML-12R) on a 1975 ThunderCraft Magnum 160 SS

deltatechx

Cadet

I just got this boat and trailer a few days ago, this is the first boat I've owned or worked on so I could use some help. The boat is in pretty bad shape, it has no interior and the floor and stinger boards are rotting, the throttle control's start lever is broken off and the throttle cable is shot, I was told the motor runs but I haven't had a chance to start it yet (bad starter solenoid). Right now I'm wanting to replace the throttle control and cable with the one linked below:

http://www.carolinaboatoutfitters.com/catalog/product_info.php/teleflex-side-mount-inoutboard-control-with-kill-switch-p-77161

Can this throttle control be used with the '66 Johnson motor? If not, are there aftermarket replacement throttle controls that I could use?

Thanks,
Paul

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 Johnson 100hp (V4ML-12R) on a 1975 ThunderCraft Magnum 160 SS

No, that won't work. Your motor has Electramatic Electric shift, and takes an Electramatic control....NOT a Hydro-Electric control either.

Not meaning to blow out your light, but I suggest you back off and take a good hard look at that rig before spending money on it. I suppose you have heard the definition of a boat--a hole in the water that you fill with money. If it shows promise and the motor actually does run, then maybe it is worth going for it. But go into it with your eyes open.

EDIT: Just an example of what I'm talking about: The Electramatic control contains a switch that is hard to find, and a new one (switch alone) is about $400. A carburetor repair kit is about $250. Have I got your attention yet?

deltatechx

Cadet

I understand that the motor shifts via a solenoid rather than a cable. I also know that the '$400 switch' in the throttle control is nothing but a 3-way switch (wire 1 'on' for forward, wire 2 'on' for reverse, or no wires 'on' for neutral), so that is not an issue I can just use an external 3-way switch. Right now I just need a throttle control that will control the engine's throttle via a cable. I don't believe the throttle control that I linked in the original post comes with a cable, so how do I choose a cable that will connect the throttle control to my specific engine? An explination of how a throttle cable on a mechanically shifted outboard works would be great also (with pics would be even better :D), thanks.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

F_R
where do we get the ends?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Paul I wish you the best with that boat [That comes from another Paul with a Thundercraft :D ] But PLZ heed F_Rs advice and dont start dumping any money until u figure out what your working with... Does the engine even turn over, Can u grab the flywheel by hand and at least move it. R U sure the engine isnt rusted solid ? Pull the spark plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders before u do any thing. Does that engine have a way to hook a rope up to the flywheel to pull start it? cuz starter is bad. Then u can manually work the carb [by hand] to see if that engine has any life left to it... I am afraid the way u r going about it, u could dump BIG $ into it just to find out its non salvageable.. . Best of luck !:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

F_R
where do we get the ends?

marineengine.com if they are still available. I haven't checked. The Electramatic control is part of the motor and should be on the same parts list.