1966 Evinrude 33 hp Ski Twin wiring?

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought this motor and need to hook it to the power. It has the spot for the hot wire on the starter. I am guessing I ground it also on the motor. So I will run the ground from the fuse box, the hot from the solenoid to the starter post. There are two wires that are on the side that the guy I bought it from said was the kill wires. How can I wire it so when I turn the key it starts it and when I turn the key off it kills the motor? Also on the solenoid there are two posts I assume are hooked up to the key or something. What do those two posts do?
Thanks
Steve

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1966 Evinrude 33 hp Ski Twin wiring?

One side of the solenoid goes to the Start position of the key switch. The other grounds, possibly through a neutral safety switch.

The black kill wires connect together to kill the motor. On an outboard ignition switch, they would go to the M terminals. You could also attach them to a pushbutton switch or a dead-man tether switch, but it wouldn't shut off with the key then. You'd push the button or pull the cord to kill in those cases.

If you have a big wiring harness plug in the side of the motor, there's a screw in the end that holds it there. The original had a T head. That's the ground connection between the box and motor.