1966 5hp Evinrude 5602R spark etc.

stevek

Cadet
Greetings,
Still somewhat new to this board but most thankful for it's existence.

I have a 1966 Evinrude 5 hp (5602R) that came with a boat I traded for recently. I changed the spark plugs (5 engine hours previous). When checking for spark (plugs removed but connected) found the spark on the lower cylinder to be weak and intermittent compared to the upper cylinder. Today, while decarbing (with a barrel of water) I pulled the plug wire from the lower plug with zero effect. Cylinder not firing... after replacing the plug wire, I pulled the wire from the upper cylinder plug, engine dies. Pretty obvious that there is no spark/ignition in the lower cylinder.

Since I have no manual, I'm not sure where to look... I assume the flywheel needs to be removed and some form of points/condensor system needs checked and/or repaired. Don't have a wheel puller to pull the flywheel, but might use my harmonic balancer puller instead.

Also, the engine is spitting milky (oily) residue from the exhaust ports, and the cooling water discharge is weak to say the least. Oil from the non-firing cylinder? Or possibly gear oil from the prop gear assembly? I checked the oil in the gear assembly and it appears normal (not milky, as in water- contaminated).

The motor appears to run well on one cylinder... I trolled for 5 hours a couple days ago and no problems other that an occaisional "sputter" (apparently the intermittent firing of lower cylinder).

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Also, location of the impellor would help.

Thanks in advance!
stevek

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1966 5hp Evinrude 5602R spark etc.

Heck Steve, you pretty much have a handle on your problems. Yes, use ONLY the harmonic balancer type puller to remove the flywheel. Have a peek at the coils and replace if they have cracks. Check and replace or regap the points to .020 as needed.

Replace the water pump impeller, you don't want cooling issues. The water pump impeller is located just above the seam between the lower unit and midsection.

The extra oily discharge can be from the missing cylinder and from a lot of trolling. It's just unburned fuel mixed in with exhaust gasses.

stevek

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, Xcusme... I have the flywheel off and am in-process re-setting the point gaps. The coils appear to be intact, although one has the appearance of having gotten hot at some point in time. Not sure yet which cylinder it fires. I am going to pull the coils and clean the points of connection (plug wire socket, etc) and maybe put some dielectric grease in to keep it clean. I will let you know how it turns out.

stevek

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The coil toward the front of the motor fires the top cylinder. "looks like it got hot" is a clue. It might not be any good. Remove it and look for a hole burned through the bottom. The apperance is due to deteriation of the plastic, not heat. Extremely common in those old OMC motors. Install coils so the ends of the laminations are flush with the machined edge on the armature plate posts where they mount. That provides proper clearance with the magnets.

Clean and dry the shaft and flywheel tapers and torque the flywheel nut to 40-45 ft/lbs.

stevek

Cadet

Thanks, FR...
The coil that has the appearance of having been hot is firing the top cylinder with no problems. After removing the coil for the bottom cylinder, no obvious problems. I put it all back together and continued decarb... at higher rpms, the lower cylinder appears to be firing but not lower rpms.

The entire ignition system looks good, appears to be fairly new, but the missing persists. I will probably replace everything at such point as I can afford it and locate all the parts. So far haven't been able to find parts for this specific motor.

It would be nice to have a diagram... I would like to replace the impeller first.

stevek

iwombat

Captain

Did you check for burned points while you had it apart? Charred points usually indicate a bad condensor.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If the ignition system is completely healthy it'll throw sparks about 1/4"-3/8" long. This is a good test as it will find if there's a crack in one of the insulation of the ignition coils, spark plug wire, etc.

If you want to determine which component is causing trouble, swap parts from one side to the other. There's no need to retorque the flywheel if you're just testing spark. Points need to be very clean (polished with 600 grit or so sandpaper) and gapped to open .020" max.
Click here for information on setting up your ignition system

(Your 5 is a lot like the old 5.5, but you don't have a shifter so you don't have to go through the whole rigmarole of pulling the powerhead to drop the l/u to get at the impeller, just unbolt it and turn the propshaft a bit.)

stevek

Cadet

Thanks to all who replied, and thanks to Paul for the link to the illustrated procedures. That's something I really needed.

I will procede with impeller replacement and complete tune-up and report back.

Thanks again to all,
stevek