1965 west bend 450 45hp turning over issues.

TyeCope122

Seaman
I’m having a hard time trying to get my 1965 west bend 45hp outboard to start. My starter is barely able to turn the engine over and once it hits the compression stroke it struggles. I currently have a new replacement starter that replaced the prestolite starter than was on it when I got it which was doing the same thing as the new starter. I think it’s an engine problem not the starter. I’ve tired 2 new direct replacement starters and the two new starters and the original prestolite all do the same thing. The exhaust is not clogged, and Everything looks good but I can’t figure out why the starter cant push through the compression stroke. Any help is appreciated. IMG_1703.jpegIMG_1704.jpegIMG_1705.jpegIMG_1706.jpegIMG_1707.jpeg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove lower unit and try the starters again.----Your battery has been load tested ?----Battery cables tested / checked ?

topgun3690

Ensign
Do as racerone said.....also, I see a lot of black stuff/particles all over the engine.....if your cowling has the black foam sound proofing, looks like it is deteriorating.....that stuff will get sucked into the carbs and cause all kinds of issues. IF that is what that is, I would remove it before using the cowling again. You can replace it with another material or leave it bare.....that's what I did and can't tell much difference in noise.

Nordin

Commander
Check all wire connections for the starter, check the starter solenoid.
Are the new starters good quality starters or cheap chines crap?
Old OEM starters would be like new after a rebuild, uncommon old starters are fried and not rebuildable.

TyeCope122

Seaman
Check all wire connections for the starter, check the starter solenoid.
Are the new starters good quality starters or cheap chines crap?
Old OEM starters would be like new after a rebuild, uncommon old starters are fried and not rebuildable.
I’ve got a new oem replacement starter that I paid $160 for. I can’t find anything for a rebuild kit for the original prestolite. And I’ve never rebuilt a starter before. If I give you the prestolite model starter that was originally on it, would that help?

flashback

Captain
I can remove the lower unit and try. Battery is good and I jumped the starter directly
Racerone is suggesting you eliminate the lower end because of potential damage in it. He has a Sherlock approach and wants to eliminate it as a cause.

Nordin

Commander
Workshops that repair electrical parts for cars will be able to repair the old OEM starter.
Generally they will clean it up, clean the armature, check the bushings and replace the brushes.
The OB starters are similar to the starters for cars except for the starter solenoid.
Are the starter and the starter bracket lined up correct to the flywheel?
Maybe the starter gear is binding to the gear at the flywheel.
BTW I think you maybe have a bad starter solenoid, try to run the starter with the plugs removed.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Low compression on one or more cylinders can cause hard turning.
Bad bearings in the block and lower unit can also cause the problem.
Pull spark plugs and see if that makes a difference???
Drop the lower unit and see if that helps???

TyeCope122

Seaman
Low compression on one or more cylinders can cause hard turning.
Bad bearings in the block and lower unit can also cause the problem.
Pull spark plugs and see if that makes a difference???
Drop the lower unit and see if that helps???
Compression is at 140 for both cylinders. I took the lower unit off. Still won’t power through the compression stroke.

TyeCope122

Seaman
Workshops that repair electrical parts for cars will be able to repair the old OEM starter.
Generally they will clean it up, clean the armature, check the bushings and replace the brushes.
The OB starters are similar to the starters for cars except for the starter solenoid.
Are the starter and the starter bracket lined up correct to the flywheel?
Maybe the starter gear is binding to the gear at the flywheel.
BTW I think you maybe have a bad starter solenoid, try to run the starter with the plugs removed.
I’ve been jumping the starter directly. No need to worry about a solenoid. The solenoid works anyway

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Jumping the starter isn't the way to do it.
Use the key.
Hook the battery and cables up and see if that makes it work right.