1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, Y'all ask for it and here she is. This is my 1965 Starcraft Nassau, Picked her up with the trailer for $850.00. brought her home and tried to crank her up... Started sorting out the electrical, needed a sensor coil and got a deal on an engine while looking for used parts. The boat has a 1975 johnson 50hp and the deal engine was a 1976 johnson 55hp! with alot of the same parts and after sitting for four years cranked on the second pull ($225.00) Swapped some parts and stumbled onto the Iboats forumn about the same time:) found out that the water pump was not working when I got her running. Seeing that I needed to pull the carbs to loosen the lower unit I ordered carb kits and pump parts. Got antsie waiting to save the money for parts (wife said I can't use "our" money for boat)(she's been here before) I rewired the boat,rebuilt the tilt and trim,and after reading all the posts from you Starcrafters I pulled up the floor Looks like I'm in for the long haul. Got the parts Wednesday and have rebuilt the carbs,Installed the water pump parts and waiting for the rain to end...
100_1278.jpg

100_1292.jpg

100_1282.jpg

100_1310.jpg

100_1311.jpg

Last edited:

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

Sweet ride there bud sounds like you got a good deal and it's seems to be in nice shape. Welcome to iboats and the Ever growing STARCRAFT CULT.:D
Rick will tell you the rest of the particulars and a few others like the dues and stuff. J/K:D

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

oops, forgot about saving some $$$ for the dues:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL CaptMills dont worry about the dues kev takes care of them for the first 2 years as he knows it aint cheap redoing a boat even when your name is CheapboatKev :D. She looks great look forward to your restoration.

Rick

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Wow,

Talk about a survivor!

Did the water in the bilge come too?!?

If you shoot me a message with an email address I will send you all the pics of my 1966 Nassau renovation. It was the exact model - same avacado - we named the boat "Quacamole"

I changed the color scheme to blue/white - but later thought keeping the green would have been cooler!

Clark

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice Nassau CaptMills! They've got a nice pitch to the bow and she looks like she wants to go fast:D

I love the avocado green they used back in the day have seen a few SS's in that color that looked just as nice as yours. Are you keeping the paint or not your cup of tea?

Good luck with the project:)

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm torn between the original color and going to a hunter green top W/white bottom(wife's choice)and hunter on the motor with white/green int. It would be easier to go back with the original color. The jury's still out.:confused:

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

That is one sharp Nassau Capt., congratulations.

Jeff.

bananaboater

Ensign

Keep the green! :) Just love that 60's color scheme (I've seen brown, pumpkin, lime green). If shwmbo won't let you use "our" money (I'm there too) that might be an argument to keep the color if you want. :D

This is a great looking ride, can't see much in the way of extra holes in the hull or deck, good wind shield and upholstery looks good. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a crying shame to be computer illiterate, :redface: If someone can tell me how to add to my thread I will send in some more pics:) Thanks,Steven

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That green is really far out, I wouldn't change it at all. What's the length of a Nassau??

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been working on the boat, new pics to come and sort out the old ones that got blown out of the water. Can I edit this post or do I need to start a new one??? :redface:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

This post is your foundation..You reply to your own post to add to it Cpt..

Great lil SC too...My whole boat purchase AND project was not with OUR money..lol (funny that I make 2x's as much as...OH NEVERMIND!)

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, Didn't know since Bob downsized (blew away)my pics and I will need to start over again with the pics, oh well, great learning exp. Who said an old dog can't learn new tricks (with the help of a 13 year old.) LOL :D

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, Now that I have this thing figured out ...for now. More pics!!!
100_1332.jpg

100_1333.jpg

100_1355.jpg

100_1354.jpg

100_1352.jpg

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've decided it's easier to work on the boat than to post the pics:D What would us old folks do without teenagers!?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Capt I saw you mention in another thread you were thinking of stripping your boat . That looks like the original factory paint and it looks to be in good condition . That being said I would hit it with a good wax and grease remover and scuff it down and paint it. I wouldnt strip it as that just makes for more work that isnt needed.

Rick

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Capt I saw you mention in another thread you were thinking of stripping your boat . That looks like the original factory paint and it looks to be in good condition . That being said I would hit it with a good wax and grease remover and scuff it down and paint it. I wouldnt strip it as that just makes for more work that isnt needed.

Rick

Exactly - with the stripping don't do if you don't have to!

My H-day on the other hand was repainted with who knows what - and therefore needs to be stripped - ugh - lots more acreage than the nassau

Clark