1965 sportswin 9.5 fuel pump help

chris.m

Recruit
so I bought a 1965 evinrude 9.5 sportwin I am rebuilding carb and gonna replace fuel pump but fuel pump I pulled off doesn't look like the part it calls for I will post pic of the fuel pump I pulled off. the reason I am doing all of this is the engine will only run at full throttle and I have to pumping the ball so gas gets to the carb. If any other suggestions please leave them imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1965 sportswin 9.5 fuel pump help

Hi chris. I think someone has replaced the original fuel pump with an aftermarket OMC variety of some sort. However, I believe you're on the right track in looking at the fuel pump, if the motor will only stay running when you manually pump the bulb. You may also want to clean/rebuild the carburetor for good measure as well. They can be a little temperamental on these old 9.5hp models. Here are some links that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. You can get any routine parts yo may need right here at iboats for about $20 too.

Johnson
Rebuilding the OMC Fuel Pump
1965 Evinrude 9522 9.5 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Last edited:

chris.m

Recruit

thank you that link helps a lo Im sur ave plenty of more questions tho.i

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

it seems like that may be an original fuel pump. they changed to the smaller square pumps in 68. my 68 and 71 have the smaller square pumps. your pump is not available and is replaced by pump number 0388685.