1965 RBI ride 33hp with no spark

brcar1048

Recruit
Hey guys, newcomer here, I have a 1965 Evinrude 33hp with no spark, pulled the flywheel and found the ignition coils blown up, replaced ignition coils, points, condensers plugs and wires, still no spark, checked all my wiring, all seems good, not sure where to go next. Thanks in advance!

brcar1048

Recruit
When I ohm out my condensers they read .2ohm from the wire on them, to the body of it, is it supposed to read high resistance, or is that correct?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Have you got all the wires and ect back in the right places ?? Not trying to be a smart butt, but it does happen.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Points and condenser "belonging" to a coil are on the right of the coil. Check assembly, like boobie suggests. I'll add that the plug wire connections at the coil and at the plug can be a problem. If you like to use the multimeter, set it at 1K resistance and look for a reading of 5 or 6 on the scale, checking from the spring clip in the plug boot to the mag plate. If you get no reading, you don't have a connection.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you use copper core ignition wire? Those old magneto ignitions don't have enough juice to fire through modern resistor core wire. Also make sure the flywheel key isn't sheared. The resistance check on the condensers isn't the right test. You need to measure capacitance, which most DMM's don't have.