1965 evinrude9.5 idle, top end problem

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently put my '65 9.5 in the water to test after pretty much a full rebuild. I have replaced: spark plugs(J7C), coils, points, condensers, fuel pump, water pump. I rebuilt the carbuerator. I put an inline Spectre clear glass fuel filter between the fuel connection and the fuel pump(inside the motor). I also installed a tiny tach on the outside face of the motor. For props I ran an 81/4 x 81/2 an an 8 x 81/8. At CherryCreek Res. in Denver, its at 5,554ft.(alt.) they even said the water temp was 67*F and the air temp was 71*F. I couldn't get the motor to idle, which I believe was my error in not adjusting the white idle arm at the back of the motor. Anyway, my numbers here are: the lowest I could be at before the motor died was 1150rpm reguardless of propeller. The highest was 3150rpm with the 81/4 x 81/2, and 3320rpm with the 8 x 81/8. It seems to misfire alot. I forgot, the copression is 96psi top 95psi bottom. Points gap is .020" spark plug is .032" I used 87octane conoco. Castrol GTX 2-stoke at 42:1(first run of the year I give it a bit more syrup). Lastly the lower unit is running Pennzoil 85/95 NHRA/NASCAR super vis gear lube(that crap is 15 bucks a pint! :eek: ) I put in 4 months worth of weekend moments to work on it and now I'm upset. Please help? :confused: :confused: :confused:

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 evinrude9.5 idle, top end problem

this is a hard 1 because it could be a few things like a plugged carb. there is a special way to time the engine using the cam on the points plate and the cam follower when giving the engine throttle. do u have a manual on this engine ?

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a manual, but, it doesn't seem to tell me how to set the timing.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I can't imagine it's the carb timing (link&sync) since at full throttle, the spark advance has long since pegged against its stop, and I take it alumistar would notice that his throttle plate wasn't wide open.<br />If you spray a little primix down the carb throat while it's running, does it pick up? If not, try grounding out one of the two spark plugs and running it up. Then try the other to see if there's any difference. Speaking of sparkplugs, how do yours look?<br />Perhaps it's a primary compression problem. That would most likely turn up in the running cylinder test.<br />I'm no expert at running at altitude. We don't have that here.

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I haven't pulled the plugs after I ran the motor. I ran it for 38 minutes from what the tinytach says. The whole time I think I could run faster(out of the water) than the boat. Anyway, the plugs were out of the package and on the motor at the lake. Gapped at .032" Brand new. I even went from J4C to J7C to turn up the heat abit compensating a bit for altitude. I don't dare put it in the water at home. That's at 9500ft. It'll definitely run like crap there!

ob

Admiral

Are you running Champion J4C plugs?Is the Castrol oil you're using TCW3 two cycle oil? Have you considered a carburetor jet changeout with respect to the altitude you're running at?

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, it's specifically Castrol Marine 2-cycle. Didn't think the primary jet was replaceable. If so, I suppose the jet would have to be smaller than the stock jet which, by the way, has NEVER been replaced.

Paul Moir

Admiral

What I was getting at about the plugs is what the insulators at the firing end look like. It should give you some indication if you're running rich (black and carboned) or lean (dead white) or if there's anything wrong with the fuel (ie, water). Keep track of which plug comes from which cylinder so you know where the problem is coming from.<br />If the cylinder is running with the right fuel:air mixture, you should have a nice tan to light chocolate insulator.<br /><br />When you get it running good, you might want to try the cooler J6C too. But like I said, I'm no expert at running at altitude.

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what's funny paul, is if you look back to "head check update..." from january(topic I started) you'll see the motor ran great after the rebuild. Problem that occured is that the flywheel cracked so I had to replace it. I also didn't tuck the coil wires to well I guess because they were chewed up and the motor stopped entirely. Replaced coils, found another flywheel, changed plugs for new season. went with J7C instead of J8C. not THAT much difference except that the store was out of J8C. Now, I can't get it to idle to save my life. Speaking of saving lives, if it gets windy which happens a lot, I can't get off the lakes fast enough. Come to think of it, I told someone back then that I changed the jets for this altitude, but i think it wasn't the jets just the fuel inlet seat for the float bowl and assumed it was set for this altitude. :D As far as the 8.8mm plugs(remember that?) they are moroso 8.8mm 0ohm custom wires. I had to cut to fit my ford which died like every other ford i've owned. To get them to fit was just good old fashioned whittling and fanagaling. :cool:

wayne h

u did not use solid core marine plug wires ? i think that might be your problem i dont remember the original post but i see that u said u used moroso car wires. replace them with the right wires they are only like .99 cents a foot

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep, figured i couldn't get away with reall cool hot red wires. guess i'm waiting 'till after july4th to do that. still on the jet matter, i can't see why it wouldn't help to rejet it, but do they offer different jets for this motor? how hard would they be to obtain?

wayne h

i have about 9 spair carbs that need rebuilding i just took 3 of them apart to check the jets and they do have diffrent sizes manybe bacause they came off diffrent year motors ? i dont know but 2 of the 3 where diffrent.dont go crazy on the rejet yet findout if your wires are the problem. if u wanna try a few diffrent jets i will LEND u a few of them so u can find out what u need if u wanna play with them and see if it makes a diffrence. i dont usually do that but i know how it feels to try to track down little parts like this just to try out so email me and we will come up with somthing

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wayne thanks for the offer. let me check the wiring part out first. if it doesn't do it i'll check at the boat shop about jets. can't imagine they'd be more than a couple bucks a piece. after hearing the jetting thing a couple times, maybe wouldn't hurt to try it anyway :D

bky

Recruit

does the 9.5 (evinrude right) have a fuel pump in the motor?