1964 Starcraft Starchief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. First I would like to thank all of you for the postings this has been a big help in getting me started in this rebuild. I have been looking for a boat to restore for several years and found this beauty on the river last year for sale. I think that this is a 1964 Starcraft Starchief but not sure. The Title from Utah says 1954. The M/N is 64-11717. It looks like the boat in the 1964 Brochure. If any one knows I would appreciate an answer. I have currently removed all the vinyl covered pieces and have redone them. My plan is to use old fashion brightwork in the boat with modern instruments and carpet combining the two. I have attached Photos of the boat in the condition that I got it and a photo of the portside cabinet redone. I took off the vinyl and covered in red oak veener and installed an oak chart box then finished in 10 coats of marine varnish. The boat came with a 1964 90hp Johnson and I am stuck between rebuilding or buying a new motor. Well, this is a start and would enjoy your comments.Our 1964 Starcraft Boat 001.jpgOur 1964 Starcraft Boat 002.jpgPort side cabinet.jpg

Last edited:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: 1964 Starcraft Starchief

Welcome aboard! That serial number is in the format that the 60's boats had, where the first two digits are the year.

59Thompson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

She's a beauty and with all the experienced advice here in the Starmada any question can be answered or part found. I like your plan sort of a street rod, classic looks but modern interior and running gear. I don't have a Starcraft yet but am looking for a boat very similar to yours. For what it's worth, I have a 1980 85HP V4 Evinrude with tilt and trim on a trihull and it has been a very reliable and maintainable motor i.e. carbureated I can clean and adjust but with electronic coil ignition and there are tons of parts available. The new 2 strokes and new 4 strokes are very good on fuel I hear but pricey. Keep up the good work and pictures! Regards, John

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

ooo woow is she a beauty good job on the wood !!! I would just rebuild the motor but thats up to you ??? keep up the good work and keep us posted !!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the tinny world, North. Nice wood work, jealous as usual because mine always turns out so bad. My tinny s/n starts with 66 so i feel yours is definitely a 64. Does the title s/n match the boat s/n? That's the important thing, no so much the year on the title.

Thank you guys for the comments and thanks for the welcome to Starmada. I will keep you posted with pictures and I will have many questions for sure.

InMotion

Commander

Nice looking rig there NWA! Keep us posted on your progress! Nice work on the wood console --- really sharp!

Jim

64osby

Admiral

A great looking Starcraft. Will be watching you're progress.

Looks like the windshield has a crack, maybe. What the plan on that?

You are right the cabin and top windshield are both cracked. My plan is to bend new ones out of 1/4 inch lexan. I have been doing some research and practice on some scrap lexan with a heat gun. I plan to use the old windshields as a pattern and build a bending jig around them. The curves in the windshields are simple 90 degree bends and when the lexan is at temperature it bends quite easily. This is my plan and going to see if it works, I do not see from my experiments why it won't. Am I on the path of failure?

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your on the right path from what I can tell, but what do I know I've never tied to bend lexan.......However, I'm jealous, because that's one cool boat! Keep up the good work.

Thanks. Fell in love with her the minute I saw her. Even my wife said we need to get that boat. So there went my last excuse on buying. Got it for 700 bucks boat motor and trailer.

skullbus

Cadet

Great job on the woodwork ! Are the steering wheel and front hatch stock or has someone replaced them? They look different than what my 64 came with. I can't wait to see how she turn's out !

barato2

Commander

nice. the only snag i see on the bending is making the curves even on such a large radius curve. you're definitely on the right track, i've made windshields for vARIOUS MOTORCYCLES THIS WAY

The hatch is stock but I am sure that the steering wheel has been replaced. I just received the new steering wheel for her. I ordered from ebay a 16" dia and 25 degree angle stainless steel destroyer type wheel. The wheel that was on her was 18" and I went down to 16" to give me some more clearance on the dashboard.

My plan is to bend the top windshield first. The angles are not very critical and only have to get the windshield in the top frame. If this is successful I will attempt to bend the cabin windshield where the frame goes all around the windshield and I do not have much room to play with. I hope I can come with a sturdy enough jig where I can get it right. I have seen ads that will bend windshield to fit at 400 bucks per. I am willing to take a 90 dollar chance on bending my own. I will let you guys know if I fail or successful.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is a good looking oldie! Good luck with your project.

Hi Everyone, it has been awhile since I have posted, that work thing keeps getting in the way. I have since had time to get the cabinet on the starboard side stripped and installed new oak venier on. I am now in the process of putting 10 coats of varnish on it and I will post pictures when I am done. I had to replace the wood supports under the bow, there was one piece that was split and degraded due to the heat under the bow. This was no easy task since I had to remove the bow cap on the front and that included removing the rub rail. I had to purchase new inserts and this was almost an impossible task but I found some new old stock and have enough to do the entire boat. I am replacing the old woodwork under the bow with red oak and will varnish. Here are some pictures of the Starboard cabinet.Captain's Consol 001.jpgCaptain's Consol 002.jpgCaptain's Consol 003.jpg

Well I finally finshed the Helm Cabinet. I installed most of the electronics except the engine gauges. I am waiting to order them. I have come to some hard decisions in the rebuild. First I will not have it finished this year. I have decided to pull the floors and the forward seating to see what suprises are underneath. I want to seal underneath with epoxy sealer after inspection. Second I have decided on the colors for the boat. I am going with the orginal paint scheme in which the hull will be white and evering above the rub rail inside and out will be beige. Third I am not going to rebuild the 1964 Johnson 90 hp engine that came with it, instead I will buy an new Honda Four Cycle either 135 or 150 depending on the weight calculations. I am posting pictures of the finished Helm. I have completed all the woodwork for the interior and now let the fun begin on the boat itself. Have to make windshields, install new transom wood and paint.Captain's Consol 007.jpgCaptain's Consol 008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.