1964 Rude Sportwin 9.5 hp Shift Rod Boot Affects Motor Operation? How?

georgeJeff

Cadet
Like the title says. Let me make a long story short. Replaced water pump, copper tube came out of power head. Removed the "inspection" plate that the shift rod and the water tube pass through. It is held on with three screws, all three screws broke off during removal. Removed plate so that I could see the hole to replace the copper water pipe, pumps good water now. With the little plate came a rubber boot, gasket thingy. I thought and thought, asked a boat mechanic, and found now good reason to replace that little plate with its rubber boots, remember the screws broke. But, I have since read several post from folks complaining about a poorly running motor and they have been told to check the shift rod boot as it will make the engine run terrible.

Can anyone explain to me how this little boot can cause an engine to run badly. Makes no sense to me at all.

Thanks
Jeff

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Rude Sportwin 9.5 hp Shift Rod Boot Affects Motor Operation? How?

I've encountered many of those 9.5hp models with damaged shift rod boots but never had a engine run poorly due to having that boot damaged, ripped to pieces, or simply non existent. Frankly I wouldn't be concerned about it.

The main concern would be to get that copper water pipe back into the "O" Ring seal under the powerhead... it can be done but it's a hellava job. Hopefully you do not need to remove the powerhead.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Trying to recall;
I think there is an exhaust relief Boot that if it leaks may cause the motor to run poorly.
Also sometimes the powerhead to leg gasket may leak.If it runs better with the cover off
it's an indication of exhaust contamination.

georgeJeff

Cadet

I've encountered many of those 9.5hp models with damaged shift rod boots but never had a engine run poorly due to having that boot damaged, ripped to pieces, or simply non existent. Frankly I wouldn't be concerned about it.

The main concern would be to get that copper water pipe back into the "O" Ring seal under the powerhead... it can be done but it's a hellava job. Hopefully you do not need to remove the powerhead.

Thank you so much for a quick reply. I am no boat mechanic, but do understand basic combustion. Fuel, fire, air, and shift rod boot? The lower unit on these boats are not sealed (yes the gear case, hopefully, but not the clam shell. It will be full of water anyway, won't it. Leaving it off. I did get the copper tube back in, once I found where to put it. It is at about 10 oclock if you looking up into the unit as it is mounted to the boat by the way for those who are looking for it.

I'll get the carb back together and try the motor, will let you folks in on the result.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ah, but that area must be sealed with the boot, or exhaust gasses will go up and out a vent hole just below the powerhead. Then the motor inhales the exhaust and runs crappy with the hood on but ok with it off. The same thing happens if the seal is left off the top of the water pump housing.

Attachments

• 9.5 Exhaust leak.jpg
    9.5 Exhaust leak.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 9.5 Exhaust leak 2.jpg
    9.5 Exhaust leak 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: